Tobacco Drying Out

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
I've read some of the threads on the board in the past about preserving and "canning" your tobacco. I have my various leaf stored in varying containers. Some are in screw top glass canisters, and some in rubbermaid glass jars with rubber lids. I pulled out a jar of Squadron Leader last night and it was relatively dry. I'm used to it being pretty moist and I like it that way. Is it to be expected that the tobacco will naturally dry out a bit after a year in a jar? I must also add, that I've placed wax paper on each jar between the lid and the lip of the jar. I really thought this would do the trick. So, now I'm curious if this is normal, or if I need to re-canister everything into screw top lids. I have yet to open my screw top lids, as I've been a bit nervous to do it.

As an addendum, about six months ago, I sprayed distilled water and re-hydrated each jar. I had not previously place wax paper between lid and lip and thought this was the reason for it drying out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm somehow imagining wax paper being added would cause small folds and wrinkles as a lid was placed on a jar, defeating the tight seal that comes from the rubber ring (if any) that is designed into the lid assembly. If it's a plastic (Rubbermaid/Tupperware) lid, they are not air-tight.

The only sure-fire way I know to keep the tobacco not only dry, but aging with the benefit of the anaerobic action that happens when the atmosphere is used up in there, is to use only jars with good, rubber seals on metal or ceramic lids (could be canning jars, could be swing-top lids). I know some people take an extra step and dip the lids up to the shoulder of the jar in paraffin wax, but that's a bit extreme.

Side note: no, you do not need to "can" the jars of tobacco with boiling water and all that--some people have tried, many have just made a big mess, a few ruined their tobacco by getting it quite wet. :lol: The seal or "vacuum" is created naturally by just stuffing, tightening down the lid, and forgetting about the stuff.

8)