Tobacco Ghost's in Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I know that Balkens will ghost a pipe, I'm also aware that Aromatics do a pretty good job of this to. I was never aware that Va's and Va/Pers would ghost a pipe.
A couple months ago I bought an almost unsmoked Stanwell,I don't think it had a full bowl smoked in it. I smoked a tin of St James Woods with this pipe and didn't pick it up again until this week. I planned on smoking Cairo in it but when I was ready to load it I noticed it smelled like St James Woods. I didn't smoke the pipe, but I have pondered on it.

A bit over a week ago I quit smoking cigs. My sense of smell is slowly coming around,not always a good thing when you make your living confined in a truck hauling Latex, the amonia smell has been driving me mad,but I'm chasing rabbits. Anyway, I am a pipe cleaning nut, J can attest to that, he thought a pipe I sold him hadn't been broke in. I can't stand a dirty pipe, I don't like cake, I work the shank interior like I'm digging for gold. Other pipers that have watched my routine laugh at me over it but I guess we are all OC in some way.

Anyway I'm certain I did nothing to 'allow' the tobacco to 'ghost' the pipe other than smoke it. Its not a cleaning issue, but I've never smelled it before. Is this a product of this particular tobacco/blender? Do Virginias ghost pipes and I've just now noticed due to returning sense of smell? Am I projecting this onto the pipe mentally, that is, it only exsists in my mind?

The pipes I'm smoking Cairo in don't seem to be doing this and they didn't appear to have any particular blends smell, but I've smoked a lot of different Va/Per's & Va/Or's in them. Could it be because all that pipe has smoked is St James Woods?

PB,

St. James Woods is a McClelland blend and my experience with most McClelland blends is that it doesn't take much of it to Ghost a pipe for a little while. I am also anal about keeping my pipes clean and that is one reason that I don't smoke McClelland blends. I just can't get past that flavor that is distinct in the McClelland blends. Lakeland and G&H also have a distinct flavor that I can't get use to either and I believe they will all ghost a pipe for a little while.

Like that signature by the way!

PB, I have found that if you ream lightly and then smoke a few bowls of 5Bros, seriously, then the ghosting always seems to be diminished. 5Bros is a neutral though strong burley, and with the string cut will burn quickly and cleanly, usually eliminating previous problem blends. G-H Kendall Ky will also essentially have the same impact.

I only learned that the Perique in VaPers ghosts pipes in the course of a back-&-forth with Vito about Wessex Brigade Campaign. What I had assumed was a hint of Perique in the WBC turned out to have been carry-over from having smoked McC's Dominican Glory Maduro in the same pipes (like half a pound of it, but previously to several pounds of the WBC).

Take it to the bank : If Veet can't discern it, it's not there.

:face:

Somewhere in Pease's journals, he indicated that perique is the hardest ghost to remove.

On the Knox board Vito and I had a discussion about Rattray's Dark Fragrant perique content. He didn't think it had any, but I did and the label on the bottom of the tin confirmed it did. Having an allergy to perique helps.

Jim

Good, at least this isn't another form of my mental problem manifesting itself.

I'm not complaining about the ghost, I like it. That will be a dedicated St James Woods pipe. I more curious if it was actually happening. I'd never heard of Va ghosting a pipe.

Ol'Dawg":v4op29b9 said:
Somewhere in Pease's journals, he indicated that perique is the hardest ghost to remove.

On the Knox board Vito and I had a discussion about Rattray's Dark Fragrant perique content. He didn't think it had any, but I did and the label on the bottom of the tin confirmed it did. Having an allergy to perique helps.

Jim
Interesting. I don't recall giving perique that particular distinction. It's certainly got a signature of its own, but it's far less pernicious than aromatics, or even Latakia.

I have, however, noticed that blends like PB's SJW (and several other McC tobaccos) can colour the smoke for a few bowls. Sometimes, those crossover smokes can be pure magic. I wrote something early in the Chronicles, in an article entitled Synergy, about this. There's also some talk about the phenomenon in Evaluating Pipe Tobaccos.

Perique is an interesting tobacco. Some people just have zero tolerance for the stuff. I notice that when handling it, it can make me sneeze, but have no trouble smoking it.

Those ghosts can rattle their chains, haunting the walls of the briar for many bowls, or they can be like Casper, the Friendly Ghost, and offer surprising and interesting enhancements to the enjoyment of our weeds. Unfortunately, the latter effects are often difficult to reproduce.

Let's see. Smoke five bowls of blend A, followed by two of blend B, then, after giving the pipe six days of rest...

Afternoon All, I had some RB plug once, now most of you know how I enjoy "The Lake's District" bacys, but this stuff was pernacious, I threw the pipe[yard] away, and traded away the bacy! :affraid: Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat: :pipe:

Oooops, poor memory on my part. Would you agree with notorious for leaving a signature in a pipe?

Jim :oops:

glpease":e08ie58m said:
Interesting. I don't recall giving perique that particular distinction.

Mr. Pease,

Please accept my apologies for attributing a statement to you that you didn't make. Sometimes my memory stores info by overall consensus. In this case, I did recall correctly that your website contained an article on perique "The Pleasures and Perils of Perique" and an article about pipe ghosts "Out, Damned Spot!" in which you stated perique was notorious for leaving a signature in a pipe. Unfortunately, my mind stored statements made by Vito and Alfredo on the Knox Board and attributed them to your articles.

Vito stated "Once I smoke a Perique blend in a pipe, it's pretty much going to be a Perique pipe forever. That's purely a personal preference, based on the fact that I can taste Perique long after I've burned it in a pipe. It seems to add a definite flavor to the cake—one that persists long afterward." and "...it is a general consideration that you should take into account in your decision to smoke Burley/Perique blends in your pipes: Perique blends will leave a persistent Perique flavor in any pipe in which you smoke them."

Alfredo stated "I've read accounts from several seasoned pipers saying that Perique is next to impossible to get out of a pipe."

In the future I'll be sure to research before I attribute a statment rather than rely on my old memory.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":7l7krc27 said:
Mr. Pease,

Please accept my apologies for attributing a statement to you that you didn't make. Sometimes my memory stores info by overall consensus. In this case, I did recall correctly that your website contained an article on perique "The Pleasures and Perils of Perique" and an article about pipe ghosts "Out, Damned Spot!" in which you stated perique was notorious for leaving a signature in a pipe. Unfortunately, my mind stored statements made by Vito and Alfredo on the Knox Board and attributed them to your articles.

Vito stated "Once I smoke a Perique blend in a pipe, it's pretty much going to be a Perique pipe forever. That's purely a personal preference, based on the fact that I can taste Perique long after I've burned it in a pipe. It seems to add a definite flavor to the cake—one that persists long afterward." and "...it is a general consideration that you should take into account in your decision to smoke Burley/Perique blends in your pipes: Perique blends will leave a persistent Perique flavor in any pipe in which you smoke them."

Alfredo stated "I've read accounts from several seasoned pipers saying that Perique is next to impossible to get out of a pipe."

In the future I'll be sure to research before I attribute a statment rather than rely on my old memory.

Jim
No apologies are necessary, Jim. No harm, no foul. I simply did not ever recall making the original statement. I'm glad to know that my memory is not at fault. There's nothing worse than saying things, and then forgetting that you've said them. ;)

Cheers,
Greg

I love RB Plug, and have a Sasieni prince dedicated to it. If I'm not in the mood to cut up a plug of RB, I can load the pipe up with a Virginia or Va/Perique blend and have the RB experience without the work. I did this once for about three months, and the taste of RB never seemed to diminish.

To me, this is a good thing...

St. James Woods has a strong presence of the McClelland "component" that some people love and some people detest. It very well may not even be the perique that is causing the lingering aftereffect.

Have there been any recent developments to speak of with the pipe?