Tobacco Paranoia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
For multiple reasons, be it legislation, social mores, etc., I have the fear that the tobacco I enjoy may soon be unavailable via the internet for shipping to Minnesota. Several states have various shipping tobacco prohibitions and I expect MN to very soon prohibit the shipment of all tobacco products into MN. Local shops have very limited selections of pipe tobacco and the MN tobacco tax is 70% of wholesale. A bulk tobacco that I purchase on-line for $2.00 oz, currently in a St. Paul B&M is $6.00 oz.
MN tobacco retailers are lobbying very hard to enact the prohibition.
It also appears that UPS, FedX, and USPS may soon be prohibited from shipping tobacco products interstate.
In recent years MN passed legislation that prohibits the shipment of spirit alcohol into the state, so I expect tobacco will follow.
So, while the mortality tables are saying I should have enough tobacco to last me till the grave, I'm still blending and buying.

I feel your pain!!!! Been smoking a pipe since 1964! Never thought, nor even heard of, to "cellar" tins/pouches/bulk tobacco for aging and later consumption until 20-some years ago; mainly from threads on this, and earlier, boards. Same thing then...blends going away/being discontinued/not shipped to the USA anymore, taxes going up, plus the ever-lovable "smoke Nazi's" constantly telling us what we may do and not do!! Final result is a collection of tins (some 20+ years-old), many out-of-production, etc. that my grandson will probably enjoy when he is an old man!! Not to mention jars & jars of bulk 'baccy accumulated thru trade/s, buys (individuals & shops/stores), and surprises/gifts/ plus 'baccy & cigars from pipers who, for health reasons, etc.; have had to give up their tobacco! FYI, I have given away (never sold any) a whole slew of good tobacco, and some less-used pipes/cigars to others who needed it/them worse than I. I keep telling myself "No More" and consistently let temptation assault my best intentions!! FTRPLT

Acquisition disorder is difficult to overcome, especially when there are legitimate reasons for acquiring! Experience has taught me this lesson.

One of the most important things to do is be locally vocal about what you just wrote - the absurdity and inequity of such laws and taxes. Write and call your state reps, same with newspapers,use everwhat you can to blast unfairness of it!

One of the most important things to do is be locally vocal about what you just wrote - the absurdity and inequity of such laws and taxes. Write and call your state reps, same with newspapers,use everwhat you can to blast unfairness of it!
Now viewed and perceived as old man screaming, "Get off my lawn!" In MN there is virtually no smoking allowed in any public venue; not just restaurants, taverns, etc., but virtually any public accommodation, including public parks and lands. Most condo and town home complexes have HOA agreements/contracts that not only prohibit smoking in common areas, but also in individual residences. The move to prohibit interstate sales and transportation of tobacco products is close at hand and will not change.