tobacco storage containers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtaster

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
my local walmart (which may or may not be representative of others) has reduced its range of glass storage containers, especially the wire bail tops i particularly like.
i found an on-line source (from which i have NOT yet ordered, but looks interesting) of a huge range of containers suitable for tobacco).

try : freundcontainer.com

prices look reasonable and i will probably order from them sometime

Prices for their ball jars are about the same as at my local supermarkets

Supermarkets are more likely to have Ball or Kerr jars than wall mart. Around here walmart only carries them part of the year.

As for their container types, I would stick to canning jars - the rest are unlikely to seal as well. Would love to get my hands on one of those tin sealers though :)

Has anyone any information on the use of paint cans? I am pretty sure they will be airtight. Home depot sells clean unused ones. I was thinking they might be a good alternative for storing large bulk quantities. and the wife wouldnt know what was in there like she does in mason jars.

Cans must be food safe - don't think that regular paint cans will do the job. Not sure you can count on the seal either.

The cans sold at the online store you mentioned are the right ones, but the sealing machine is about $500 :)

Philthy":4p3sr5rl said:
Has anyone any information on the use of paint cans?
I've used paint cans in the past with success, but I only did it twice. Used empty paint cans bought at Home Depot. I think they were 1 pt cans, they had approximately 1 lb of tobacco. To can, I lined the can with freezer-type ziplock bags and pressed the tobacco into them, leaving enough room to zip them closed. Closed the lid and sealed it with a ring of silicone glue. Opened the first can when it was 6 years old. No signs of rust inside or out. Opened the second can when it was 9 years old. It had a few very minor rust spots on the outside, on the rims. No rust on the inside. Both times the tobacco was moist and had aged as expected (it was McClelland's 2035 Navy Flake).

At the time I was looking for ways to store bulk tobacco and didn't like the glass jars because of bulk and weight. If I were to cellar bulk, I would go the paint can way.

I imagine that sealed in a food grade bag inside the paint can, and the paint can sealed, is pretty safe

Anyone here know of any reason not to use plastic bags inside an airtight container?

I have thought of using plastic wrap to protect some bulk pounds of plug, then dipping them in paraffin wax (as the plastic will not keep the goodness in alone) - not sure if plastic wrap is best though as I have heard of interactions between chemicals in tobacco breaking down some rubbers or plastics

Protecting some Happy Brown Bogie that I have in a cooler at the moment is high on my priority list - but I don't want to chop up the 500g ropes to fit them into jars - figure the cooler alone is probably good for many many years, but would feel better if they were individually sealed for aging

I think Don Vito stores all his tabac with plastic bags in glass jars, I do this sometimes as well, Ken :tongue:

My policy is to buy from Walmart all I envision that I'll need for the coming year of jars, extra lids, and extra lids with rings. A local hardware store always has what I need when I need it regardless of season, but their cost is 50% higher than Walmart.