Tobacco Suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazmat

Reaction score
I know this is a tough thing to do without actually knowing what the guy asking for suggestions smokes regularly. I'll try to make it easier if I can by limiting the field of blenders to make a suggestion from.

I'm getting ready to put a 'baccy order in and would like to include something from the following blenders. I'm looking at blends WITHOUT latakia, but everything else is fine. Just throw out some of your own opinions on "the best of the best" from these folks and I'll whittle them down from there. Can be bulk or tinned, doesn't matter:

C&D

Gawith Hoggarth

Fribourg & Treyer

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Justpipes: Middleton's Walnut is right on out the window, before you get to typin!

Hi, C&D- Old Joe Krantz
G&H- Bosun Cut Plug
F&T- Virginia Cut Plug.......Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

F&T - Negrohead (otherwise known as Black Jack)

I have no experience with the other brands.

A few more to consider----

C&D-- Briar Fox, Pennington Gap, #453 Woodstock Races, #456 Winchester, #457 Yorktown, #927 Guilford Courthouse

F&T-- ditto Cut VA Plug and BlackJack

G&H-- Glengarry Flake

Jim

Gawith Hoggarth & Co does a nice job with its Kendal Mixed and Kendal Kentucky.

From GH:
Dark Flake Unscented
Dark Birdseye
Kendal Kentucky
Brown Bogie
Rum Flake

Greetings,

C&D: Many solid, enjoyable tobaccos. Good value. Need aging of at least a year, in my opinion. Here are my favorite, non-latakia blends:

Virginia Gentleman (B+)
Guilford Courthouse (B+)
Bayou Morning (B+)
Orion's Arrow (B/B+)
Oriental Silk, (B)
Gates of Light, (B+)
Epiphany (B/B+)
Autumn Evening (maple aromatic) (B+)

F&T: the best line-up of Virginia blends available (Samuel Gawith is a close second with Rattrays and McClelland's are right behind SG for me) -

Cut Virginia Plug (A+)
Golden Mixture (A/A+)
Special Brown Flake (A)
Cut Blended Plug (A)
Vintage (A/A-)

Gawith & Hoggarth - Lakeland bliss

Conniston Cut Plug (A-)
Broken Flake #7 (B+)
Rum Flake (B+/A-)
Bosun Cut Plug (B+)
Bright CR Flake (B+)
Broken Scotch Cake (B+ with age - mild)

There you go, YMMV.

TC

The only tobaccos in this thread I've had expereince with are C&D which is simply because of my budgetary constraints. But they are indeed as a whole very good blends. One not mentioned here is my absolute favorite blend period-Haunted Bookshop. If one is like me in liking the flavor of perique but can't physically tolerate more than a smidgeon of it, then HB is a blend well worth trying. OJK would have quite a wallop of the stuff by my standards. :affraid: enjoy your tobacco explorations, Earl

As others have suggested, I would strongly recommend C&D's Old Joe Krantz and Pennington Gap.

MacBaren's "Navy Flake"

Peter Stokkebye's "Luxury Navy Flake"

Both are excellent!

Best,
D.J.

I'll second a lot of the suggestions and add a few.

C&D - Bayou Morning Flake, a different take on the VA/perique flake

F&T - Anything I tried was good

G&H - Curly Cut Deluxe or regular
Bob's Chocolate Flake - has a tiny bit of Latakia but if you didn't know, you wouldn't know.