Tobacco Switcheroo in Cobs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a cob I smoked less than 10 bowls of Orlik Racking Green in - an Aro, and another I test tasted Drucquer & Sons Red Lion -a Perique Blend- about a half-dozen times in.

I was wondering if there would be any troubles encountered if I were to use these cobs now for heavy Burley blends exclusively, or would there be too much of a ghosting problem.

IME, it takes a lot to ghost a cob. It can be done with, say, repeated smokings of heavy Lakelands, but I've never found much ghosting from any "standard" pipe tobacco blends.

I share the opinion that it is pretty hard to ghost a cob. They are also pretty forgiving on the maintenance stuff as well. I have a country gentleman that I decided to dedicate to Lakeland’s like Grasmere, Brown Flake 2 and Broken No. 7. If I let it sit for a while I am hard pressed to detect any ghosting in it, even from these blends.

Blackhorse":febs15s5 said:
Good Grief.  They’re cheap, just go ahead and try it out.

You’re really the only real judge that can issue a verdict on this kind of question.
This.

You could even buy a bag of seconds for peanuts and conduct an experiment with them.

Stick":9jud0udf said:
Blackhorse":9jud0udf said:
Good Grief.  They’re cheap, just go ahead and try it out.
You’re really the only real judge that can issue a verdict on this kind of question.
This.
You could even buy a bag of seconds for peanuts and conduct an experiment with them.
I second that! The seconds are inexpensive and can be used for experimenting with different "smelly" tobaccos. If they get ghosted, you're not out a lot of money.

This whole ghosting thing has gotten out of hand.  So many self-imposed regulations post-internet.  Too much time.  Too much thinking.  Just smoke the things.

Zeno Marx":iy44wqxl said:
This whole ghosting thing has gotten out of hand.  So many self-imposed regulations post-internet.  Too much time.  Too much thinking.  Just smoke the things.
Agreed, I smoke any tobacco out of any pipe.

The only time a ghost bothers me is in an estate. You know the ones that have been smoked hard with Captain Black, and you are still getting a whiff of the Captain after two pouches of Five Brothers?

If it is something I smoked, there is often a friendly reminder of a former smoke, but I have to say I usually like it.

Fr_Tom":b445e87p said:
The only time a ghost bothers me is in an estate. You know the ones that have been smoked hard with Captain Black, and you are still getting a whiff of the Captain after two pouches of Five Brothers?
I've noticed the same thing in a couple of my estate pipes, but it usually develops after several bowls. Beside being smoked hard, they probably have been smoked for a long time.

With a cob, I figure any tobacco is fair game. They live in the glove compartments of my cars and I break them out whenever I don't want to take a briar out in the elements.