Tobacco What and Why?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":ks2pszn9 said:
Like many here it's difficult to pick a #1 favourite. But based on consumption it would have to be, hands down, McC 2015. Being as I'm primarily a VA/VaPer guy this fills the bill for me all the time. Guess it could be a desert island blend.

Why? Well, it runs all the bases for me - red 'ginny sweetness and it's tang, coupled with the funkiness/fig/pepper of the p-weed. And while the version I'm enjoying has 15% added Perique, I've enjoyed straight 2015 and find little difference. So it's all good.

My close runner up would be McC 5100. Red 'ginnys at their peak of flavour.

Yes, there is also McC Xmas Cheer and McCrainie's Red Ribbon for obvious reasons. But I'll stop here!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR
We surely have similar tastes :lol!:

Each and every one of the blends you've mentioned ranks very high with me..

OW":algqzmb1 said:
I, uh..... well,,,,,,,,,, just one? Ummm..... hmph.......

I guess what flows through my pipe most often is PS LBF. Favourite though, well, What I seem to burn to ash, really down, is either Pebble Castle, Marlin Flake, or St. James Flake. Others I can tap out without finishing. But not those. Dark, brooding, sweet, with a bit of zing at the back of the tongue just tickles me.
With this post only your number ONE favorite counts, it's not my thread in which I asked..." what's your FIVE favorite blends "?  Seems this thread is receiving more responses then the one I started a while back, maybe some members did not feel like typing more then ONE blend.... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Richard Burley ":5x2hpn7p said:
Half and Half, as it once was. I grew up with everyone around me smoking it, so I associate it with what a pipe should smell like. I suppose today's younger people (I'm talkin' "civilians" here) would think vanilla-scented Captain Black types of tobacco are what a pipe should smell like, but not me. H & H had a very distinctive smell, one that would not only ghost your pipe, but anything the smoke touched. I used to run a 988 Caterpillar loader in my youth; when you entered the cab in the mornings, overriding the diesel reek was the scent of good ol' Half and Half from the previous day. Made it feel "homey."
Yup, I totally agree with your analogy when it comes to Half & Half. I really use too enjoy this OTC blend back in the 70's. But can not smoke this CRAP or whatever you want to call it now! Last year I received a can no less of this extremely ODD smelling/tasting tobacco. Well, I fixed the problem at my end by making it MY ESPRESSO BLEND. I tried two bowls while fresh and I was pleasantly surprised I created a good smoking dessert blend. I'm aging the rest for a few more years.

I grew up around the scent of Granger as well and even I use too smoke the blend. I have a few very old sealed tins that I smoke at times, but would not smoke the Granger that's sold today, really smells like CRAP... :fpalm: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I have maybe a dozen blends I keep stockpiled and I wander from one to another as my present taste requires. I can't stick with one for more than a few days before I feel the need to smoke something completely different.

At the moment I'm smoking a mixture of equal measures of McClelland 2017 Anniversary red virginia flake and 2020 Matured cake, rubbed out well, blended and jarred for a short rest. I found the red va flake to be smooth and hearty but a bit monotonous, and 2020 to be a bit edgy and a wee bit too heavy on the latakia. The mixture creates a wonderfully smooth profile, toasty naturally sweet virginia and woody orientals that rounds the flavor out very nicely. It's similar in flavor profile to Dunhill EMP, but slightly sweeter and definitely better. It's the best experience I've ever had in blending things myself and it was purely dumb luck, but it's brilliant.

By the end of the weekend I'll be craving something else.

Like many, I have far too many favorites to narrow it down to one. So, changing the parameters just a bit, of my dozen or so favorites, if I could only smoke one of them, I guess it would be Peterson's Irish Flake. Or maybe St Bruno Flake. Or maybe...no, I guess I'll say Irish Flake.

Puff Daddy":1elditrg said:
I have maybe a dozen blends I keep stockpiled and I wander from one to another as my present taste requires. I can't stick with one for more than a few days before I feel the need to smoke something completely different.

By the end of the weekend I'll be craving something else.

This is me except it is only about 5 blends with me occasionally dipping into something else that I have not touched in a couple years.

AJ you're the one who turned me on to Dunhill's Royal Yacht. When I smoke that I am reminded of really great friends ie you and Kirk. Alas availability keeps me from picking this as I will never have enough to see me through the tobacco apocalypse. So I waffle back and forth between my ODF and Blackwoods Flake. Both are great smokes that remind me of the great folks here on the board that opened my eyes to what a good Va could be. And both actually make great nasal snuff too.

Jim