Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have truly smoked only one tobacco in my pipes before. I have just acquired a new pipe for the first time in 4 years. I enjoy the tobacco that I have, but I find it to be mild. It is a local blend from "Plantations" in Norman Oklahoma called "IQ 140." I will be the first to admit, that I need help in choosing the tobacco to smoke in my new Peterson. So, if anyone would like to give me any recommendations, then feel free to do so. I do have a friend, Aaron, who recommended me to this site, and he is helping as well on learning the wonderful flavors of pipe tobacco, but any extra help wouldn't hurt.

Welcome!

I really think a good medium English or Balkan is a fine place to start. Unless you dislike Latakia. To name just one, GLP Ashbury. There is just so much out there. It's important to learn technique. With success comes confidence.

If you need more nic just add a little OJK to your lanes 1Q

other good ones Burly
Carter Hall

Sir walter Raleigh

Virginia's
SG's Full Virginia Flake
Peter stokkeby luxury twist flake

English
SG's squadron leader
Kendal cream flake

Jeremiah, when I first started not long ago I purchased a blend from each type of tobacco to try out... just to see where my tastes are. This link is a great place to start... http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/touchstones.php

What I did was get a tin each of:

VA - Old Gowrie
Va/Per - Haddo's Delight
English - Wesminster
Burley - Haunted Bookshop

I got all four of these, popped them all open (stuck them in jars to keep them fresh), and smoked them. I also got some cheap cobs and marked each with a sharpie on the bottom - B for Burley, L for latakia (english), V for VA. That way I knew there was no cross contamination of tastes when smoking. This also meant I didn't have to worry about breaking in my pipe to enjoy the full flavor of the blend.

I kept notes on each one, and on each bowl - to see how my tastes changed. You'd be surprised how differently a blend can taste depending on how it's packed, the pace you smoke it, and at least for me the time of day.

The above blends helped me get my head around what each type of leaf tastes like and what it does in a blend. I had left out the balkans and orientals in my initial purchase to save on money, which have turned out to be my favorites. So if you can't seem to find something you really get into, don't give up and keep trying stuff.

And if you're smoking aromatics, the flavor is going to be mild (at least from my experience). I haven't found an aro that has the full body to it that I enjoy.

Once you have an idea of what you like, then start exploring more blends in that family and reading the reviews of them here and at tobaccoreviews. Another thing I like to do is to go to smokingpipes.com and pull up a blend I like. At the bottom of the page it will say something like "customers who buy this tend to also smoke..." and will have a list of some other blends.

Hope that helps a little. Keep asking questions if you need more help!

Some good suggestions have already been made, but I'll echo Westminster as a great place to start on the English blend part of your journey. Squadron Leader is also a favorite English of mine.

Burlies? There are many to check out, and quite frankly, I haven't delved into many of them. To me, Prince Albert is a fine tobacco to start with. No nonsense burley, and a good all day smoke. GLP's Barbary Coast is another good one. In fact, it's very tasty, with a little VA and Perique added for texture.

One thing's for sure: once you start on this journey, you'll find many joys. Then you'll be eager to share your knowledge with other new pipesters.

Mike

Thank you everyone who has replied and given me advice. OH, and I am loving the more full flavored and robust tobaccos! =0)