Tobaccos - The Best & Worst of 2016

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Just a small opinion piece here..

My favorite blends from 2016. Each of these are wonderful, natural tasting tobaccos with their own unique flare.

Manil Le Petit Robin
C&D Sansepolcro
GLP Regent's Flake
Uhle's Bishop's Move
SG Commonwealth

Arango Balkan Supreme - AJ turned me onto this one, a most surprisingly good bulk mixture -

The worst blend of 2016 and considering its pedigree, perhaps the most disappointing. Bob Gregory mentioned that it's derived from Full Virginia Flake.  :shock: I found it harsh and almost unsmokeable; a most sinister topping  :evil: - SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake

Finally a blend that I once found dreadful, but suddenly found myself enjoying periodically. Perhaps the craziest tasting European aromatic on the market - Sillem's Black

So, what blends did you enjoy most/least in 2016?

After a quick look at Tobacco Reviews, I see I reviewed 34 blends this year. There were some I had higher hopes for that didn't pan out, but I did have two big winners for me: Salty Dogs and War Horse Bar.

The best and worst all in one blend. SG Bracken Flake. I got kinda hooked on that. Just kept coming back to it. I bought the last tins I could get my hands on in 2014. Found no bulk anywhere to purchase. 30 tins. Gone. Done. All smoked up. Pretty sure I have none left jarred from 2004/2005. So it's all gone and, either not being made or not available in the US. I do not think it's being made any longer. Bound to be some stashed in cellars. But not mine.

This past year I had 3 more favorites I stocked up on for cellaring:

C&D Sansepolcro
GLP Regent's Flake
War Horse Bar....a BIG ehhhhh for War Horse Green for me

Biggest disappointment for me personally:
GLP Temple Bar. Two out of three tins were full of mold. This blend was packed extremely wet, not moist. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I don't have a comment on the OP because I've been smoking the same few aged mixtures daily for years. I have even cashed in on some of my collection selling a few thousand dollars of vintage tins last year. I plan on sell some more this year to help finance my pipe collection.

Lonecoyote":63ijuben said:
GLP Temple Bar. Two out of three tins were full of mold. This blend was packed extremely wet, not moist. 
I've got to say that C&D's mold issues was a sad story in 2016. C&D was a stable and proud family company that was turned over to a bunch of hipsters who were probably delivering pizza's a week before they became "master blenders" They seemed to ignore on time tested methods to pump out new product. I know they have given refunds after you pay to send it back but this is the first wide spread mold outbreak that I've been aware of. :shock:

For once an easy choice. The best new blend I had during 2016 was Ozark Wizard's Pebble Castle. The Wiz took the best characteristics of Pebblecut and Tudor Castle with the results being one of the smoothest VA.  blends with just the right amount of Perique that gives it the perfect balance of spice and plum/raisin sweetness. No harshness or bitterness and enough of a nic hit to satisfy. Truly a great blend.

The worst blend I smoked in 2016 was Dunhill's Elizabethan. YUK! Enough said.

Chris I'm delighted you found Arango Balkan Supreme pleasing. A great Balkan that's reasonably priced. :)

AJ

This is a good one...

For me, the best blends of 2016 were:
Star of the East (Ribbon/Flake)
GLP Quiet Nights
SPC Plum Pudding
GLP Fillmore
SG St James Flake

Lots of other contenders but those are the ones I went to the most. Really dove deep into the English blends this year!

AJ":orhuq3e7 said:
For once an easy choice. The best new blend I had during 2016 was Ozark Wizard's Pebble Castle. The Wiz took the best characteristics of Pebblecut and Tudor Castle with the results being one of the smoothest VA.  blends with just the right amount of Perique that gives it the perfect balance of spice and plum/raisin sweetness. No harshness or bitterness and enough of a nic hit to satisfy. Truly a great blend.

AJ
This for me as well. Pity it's not in general production or I'd go in deep!

Also was introduced to several of the HU blends which were exceptional. Just learned that they are closing down as a result of the egregious laws. A pity for all of us!

Cheers?

RR

Hans from HU Blends had suffered a heart attack, that's another reason why his blends might disappear. A rumor.....his friend, the actual blender might keep the blends coming......to be continued. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":s8ktjp7h said:
Hans from HU Blends had suffered a heart attack, that's another reason why his blends might disappear. A rumor.....his friend, the actual blender might keep the blends coming......to be continued. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Didn't know that about Hans until just now. My best wishes to him and hope the blends can go forward.

Cheers,

RR

Wow, I had no idea about Hans. Very sorry to hear that. I have meaning to try some of his blends. Hans was super helpful to me over email when I contacted him, saddened to hear that his work might disappear with the dreaded regs.

Excellent "best ofs" guys, I am making a list so keep em coming.

Well, I do enjoy my blends, but I've got to say I've been really impressed with:

Mac Baren's ODF and Modern Virginia
Rattaray's Marlin Flake and Bagpiper's Dream
Sam Gawith's St.James Flake

Worst (to me):

Spectre
Missouri Meerschaum's Independence Day 2015
Sam Gawith's 1792
Lane's BLWB

This is just off the top of my head, at the end of the day, so forgive me if I feel required to edit.