Today I Will Talk To A Son I've Never Met

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
As a broke college student in 1967, months before going into the army. I answered an ad in the Minnesota Daily, the U of MN student newspaper. It was for sperm donors, but I honestly don't recall the amount of payment. I went with three of my friends to pick up some easy money.
A few months ago, for a reason that's unclear, my brother's adult granddaughter did the 23 & Me genetic test. I am not familiar with what kind of permissions are granted, but she allowed for those who are genetically related to contact her. She received a communication that a genetic cousin wanted to contact her. My great niece didn't contact me, but, instead contacted my older daughter, who passed the information to my younger daughter.
Apparently, so I've been told by my daughters who contacted him via Facebook, he's been looking for his birth mother and me for over twenty years.
The woman who gave birth to him, for an unknown reason, put him up for adoption shortly after he was born. It's all pretty hazy on my end, and everything I currently know he communicated to my older daughter. His adoptive mother waited to tell him he was adopted until he was eight-years-old and soon after, his adoptive parents divorced. He was raised by a loving single mother as an only child. His adoptive mother is deceased and he's been estranged from his adoptive father virtually his entire life, but the adoptive father is still alive, but I understand he's in his mid 80s.
My newly discovered biological son, I guess, is about 53 years old. I was a sperm donor only that one time and questioned my older brother to see if he'd ever been a donor. The answer was an emphatic No.
My understanding, from my older daughter, is that he just wants to know some of his roots and to introduce his two sons to their biological family.
My daughter gave him my email address and phone number. He told her he'd phone me this afternoon.

Years ago, one of my former employees related that he'd been an active sperm donor at the University of Michigan and was told that his sperm had resulted in over 20 births. He related that any of his offspring, after age 18, had permission to get any information about him from the university and contact him, but none had done so.

I do admit to being kind of nervous. My daughters say they're excited to have a brother and two new nephews.

Last edited:
The woman who gave birth to him, for an unknown reason, put him up for adoption shortly after he was born.
While waiting for the phone call, I just spoke with my older daughter about the situation. I really, really hope that her speculation isn't correct.
She thinks that the baby may have been "sold" via a private adoption. But, then, why use a sperm donor if that was the plan? It's all really quite unsettling. If, indeed, he is my biological son, during the final years of my life, I do want to get to know him as a friend.

And yes, I have purchased a 23 & Me package to seek confirmation of the genetic relationship.

Last edited:
It's closing in on 6:00 PM, my time. So far, no phone call. I'm guessing he decided not to shake the tree. Later, I'll ask my older daughter to contact him via Facebook.

If there was a child sold and bought, even in my ignorance at the time, decades ago, I feel somewhat complicit. He's a grown man with adult sons of his own, raised by a single parent with no biological history.
I still have not received a phone call.

I was adopted at birth and it wasn't a bad thing. I never harbored bad thoughts toward my natural parents. I've recently come in contact with my half siblings and it's been a good experience. My natural parents passed long ago but through my new family I have closure. Let what happens happen.

It's all getting very confusing. My younger daughter was in contact with him over the weekend. She related that he told her that after he learned of my existence he opened communication with his previously estranged adoptive father.
Perhaps, that's why he chose not to contact me. It's all out of my control. He has my email address and phone number.