Today is my 20th Anniversary

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
It's hard to believe I bought and smoked my first pipe 20-years ago.

I remember it like it was yesterday. There have been short periods (3-6 months) where I would take a break from it, but I always found myself missing the smell and taste of a good pipe tobacco.

Believe it or not, Ralph, the shop owner/operator at Tobacco Lane (B&M I still visit on occasion) , recommended a Cob as the perfect starter pipe. Since they're inexpensive, quite forgiving regarding use, care, and cleaning, and provide a good smoke, he always recommended them to newbies. He then recommended a house blend called 'Fireside', saying it is mild, quite aromatic, and is his best selling aromatic blend. So, that morning I purchased a MM Cob (bent stem), 1 oz. of Fireside, a small pack of Pipe Cleaners, and a Pipe Nail.

Being a cheapskate like i've always been, this was right up my alley- having $10 invested. (This was 1992) :lol:

Ralph was right! It was a great smoke, both the Cob and the Blend.

By my 3rd smoke in it (that evening :lol: ), I knew that pipe smoking wasfor me. Then I realized why my Dad loved it so much.

I went out the next day and purchased 2 basket briars - 1 poker, and 1 bent bulldog, plus a few more varieties of pipe tobacco (and more Fireside).

And the rest is History...

So today i'm celebrating by smoking a new MM Diplomat and a couple bowls of 'Fireside'. :cheers:

Interesting Tidbit = Fireside (a house blend they've had for nearly 30-years and still their best selling aromatic) is actually BCAQ!

Go Figure...

OOOOOOHHHH! Don't let Kyle know how many YEARS you have been smoking ! :twisted: He doesn't like to read all those numbers more than he has :twisted: Amazing that you have not fallen into the the "old lady's soap 'bac" herd as all the rest after all these years !!! :twisted:

I'm just impressed you remembered the exact date. :lol: Any old fuddy-duddy can embellish on YEARS. 8)

Kyle Weiss":it7a5vj3 said:
I'm just impressed you remembered the exact date. :lol: Any old fuddy-duddy can embellish on YEARS. 8)
Yeah - it's not a photographic memory, but very close on some things. I don't know why this has stuck with me all these years, probably because I celebrated each year for the first 5-6 years after I started. The things I want and try to remember sometimes don't stick, but other stuff does 100%.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

And No, no old lady soap blends please.... :evil:

Well I am going to make my 400th post congratulating you on your excellent recall. I have no idea what year it was I first started on with a pipe, All I know is that I took one hell of a long break from smoking one.

Come on Rob, celebrate your 20th anniversary in fine tobacco tradition and give the Old Lady of the Lake a try. :p

Happy 20th Rob! I'm surprised you are not celebrating with that original cob from 92! :geek:

Dutch":ad89qepd said:
Happy 20th Rob! I'm surprised you are not celebrating with that original cob from 92! :geek:
As much as I would like to, it fell out of my pocket in to the mighty Vermilion River (in Louisiana) back in '93. Luckily I took a couple of other cobs and a Grabow with me for that trip on the boat . (towboat) 8)

Thanks All. It's been a good 20-years and I've never looked back. Hoping for at least another 20-years.

That is, unless the world ends or the Aliens come back and end it for us.

UFO.gif

Oh yeah, WC - no need to feel bad for me, Sir. :mrgreen:

Kyle Weiss":obmzlq89 said:
2012-1969 = 43 Do the math Kyle! Bought my first pipe, a GBD Bulldog ( smoked it today in fact) at a shop in Hong Kong when I was on RR from "Nam back in '69. Been smoking 'em since. Sorry friend, no embelishment here :p

Kyle Weiss":swg6fngb said:
Easter, 1975, but I don't remember the date :D (although I didn't become a regular pipester until Sept, 1976)

Anyway, back on topic. Congrats, Rob & pipes, on a long relationship!

And here I thought this was going to be about your 20 yr anni with your wife. Never could understand how someone could be married that long!

But celebrating 20 yrs as a pipe smoker is something that I can appreciate, even though my pipe history only goes back to the mid 90's.

Remembering ones' first pipe is easy for most of us, and I'm proud to say I still have and use my very first.

It's a relatively inexpensive Chacom 1/4 bent bulldog I purchased at the Davidoff London store around '95. Not much of a looker, it has several big fills and is used and somewhat abused. Yet, it feels good and smokes great.

Happy 20th Rob.

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

I only remember the event itself, not the date.

Congrats on both your anniversary, and your bitchin' memory too.

Enjoy your new pipe.

Here is to another 20 yours of pipe smoking before you. 8)

Rob, do you still have your first pipe? What did you first smoke?

-------------------------------------------------------

monbla256":seevxqm2 said:
2012-1969 = 43 Do the math Kyle! Bought my first pipe, a GBD Bulldog ( smoked it today in fact) at a shop in Hong Kong when I was on RR from "Nam back in '69. Been smoking 'em since. Sorry friend, no embelishment here :p
Here's your goat back.
goat-64.gif
I seemed to have gotten it somehow. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":m3y7d8e4 said:

-------------------------------------------------------

monbla256":m3y7d8e4 said:
Here's your goat back.
goat-64.gif
I seemed to have gotten it somehow. :lol:

8)
You wish. Everyone has fantasies :p

Kyle Weiss":4m4l8fjv said:
Kyle - quit being such a lazy ass and go back and read the thread. :mrgreen:

First Pipe:

Rob_In_MO":4m4l8fjv said:
As much as I would like to, it fell out of my pocket in to the mighty Vermilion River (in Louisiana) back in '93. Luckily I took a couple of other cobs and a Grabow with me for that trip on the boat . (towboat) 8)

First Smoke:

Rob_In_MO":4m4l8fjv said:
He then recommended a house blend called 'Fireside', saying it is mild, quite aromatic, and is his best selling aromatic blend.

Interesting Tidbit = Fireside (a house blend they've had for nearly 30-years and still their best selling aromatic) is actually BCAQ!

Go Figure...

Congratulations Rob - a landmark day! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I am envious of your memory, by comparison mine is extremely poor.

BTW are you considering marking the occasion by buying another new pipe for the next 20 years? What about something special, real quality......like a ...*whisper*..Dunhill? :twisted:

Fraternally

Jers

*Jers hits 'send' button puts on steel helmet, body armour and locks door of safe room*
:lol!: