Tonni

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Probably one of the most overlooked and probably one of the most talented pipe maker today. His bit's are extremely comfortable, his pipes are extremely balanced- often despite their size, and his shapes are very creative. I would compare his pipes in every way to those of Lars Ivarsson or Jess Chonowitsch as far as finish and engineering go.

Any thoughts?

mdmiller5":m4geyats said:
I am sorry to say I have never heard of Tonni. Reminds me of Paul Perri, who outside of California hardly no one knows of.
Oh I definitely wouldn't call him an "unknown," he's been carving pipes for decades, and his teacher was Hans FORMER Nielsen, one of the worlds best and most recognized carvers as far as I'm concerned. I've just come to the conclusion that sometimes in discussions Tonni Nielsen is unfortunatly overlooked when he really deserves his place among the very best in the world. Because he is one of the best in the world.

I am pretty sure Ian means Tonni Nielson.. The great Dane turned even greater Kentuckian. I have yet to aquire one of his pipes but he is on my radar and plans are being made. He doesn't live to far from me..course I've yet to meet him. Wonder if he'd give a discount to a homeboy :lol:

Ian, I am completely in agreement with you with respect to Tonni. I have several of his pipes and they are spectacular. His design and finish work keep getting better and better (and he has been very very good for a long time).

In addition to being incredibly talented, Tonni is a very nice man and a joy to talk pipes with.

Thanks for the good words and for pointing him up here.

Kudos to you for that!

I second the above. I have one of his pipes and it is fantastic. A great looker and a great smoker.
Bub

Ian Minton":c6o2ty4t said:
mdmiller5":c6o2ty4t said:
I am sorry to say I have never heard of Tonni. Reminds me of Paul Perri, who outside of California hardly no one knows of.
Oh I definitely wouldn't call him an "unknown," he's been carving pipes for decades, and his teacher was Hans FORMER Nielsen, one of the worlds best and most recognized carvers as far as I'm concerned. I've just come to the conclusion that sometimes in discussions Tonni Nielsen is unfortunately overlooked when he really deserves his place among the very best in the world. Because he is one of the best in the world.
Ian, I apologize, I did not connect Tonni with Nielsen. You are correct, he is not an unknown. I have seen his work and met him at a pipe show many moons ago. He is a first rate carver who doesn't get his due.

ZuluCollector":xwqu3go7 said:
Ian, I am completely in agreement with you with respect to Tonni. I have several of his pipes and they are spectacular. His design and finish work keep getting better and better (and he has been very very good for a long time).

In addition to being incredibly talented, Tonni is a very nice man and a joy to talk pipes with.

Kudos to you for that!
Hey Neill,

I was sitting next to Tonni at Richmond 2005 when you bought your first pipe from me.

After we talked you went next door and were telling Tonni how much you admired his work, etc., and totally deadpan, in his lilting Danish accent, he said, "I never get tired of hearing that. Please say it again."

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!

He told me at that show that he had been making pipes for 35 years, with a short stint at teaching tennis in there somewhere.

Rad

We have been friends with Tonni Nielsen for about 10 years. We first met him at the Chicagoland Pipe Show. Lady Muleskinner tried to trade him out of his Australian hat at that show. Of course, since she was from KY they had some fun talking about KY and his hat. They never struck a deal on the hat. On our recent trip to KY we went by his house and workshop.
He had some pipe beauties in the making. As I have previously posted, my wife forced me to bring home another Tonnie Nielsen. As all of the rest of my Tonni Nielsen pipes, it is a great addition to my collection.
They all smoke great, are well balanced and very light. He is a very nice fellow. Don't think you would regret buying one of his pipes.
John "Muleskinner"

All the more reason to holler at me next time yall in town Muleskinner... :lol: .. I can 'use' yall to get to Tonni :lol: :lol: :lol:

PB, For sure the next time we head to KY we will get in touch with you.
Sure we can find plenty of time to go visit with Tonni. Hopefully, we won't be coming back right away. Still haven't rested up from the last fast trip to KY but the new Tonni Neilsen blowfish pipe is helping me to recover.
Muleskinner "John"

Muleskinner":bvus1lyv said:
PB, For sure the next time we head to KY we will get in touch with you.
Sure we can find plenty of time to go visit with Tonni. Hopefully, we won't be coming back right away. Still haven't rested up from the last fast trip to KY but the new Tonni Neilsen blowfish pipe is helping me to recover.
Muleskinner "John"

Please please please send a photo of the Tonni blowfish, it's my favorite shape!

Rad Davis":tabqjxj5 said:
ZuluCollector":tabqjxj5 said:

Kudos to you for that!
Hey Neill,

I was sitting next to Tonni at Richmond 2005 when you bought your first pipe from me.

After we talked you went next door and were telling Tonni how much you admired his work, etc., and totally deadpan, in his lilting Danish accent, he said, "I never get tired of hearing that. Please say it again."

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!

He told me at that show that he had been making pipes for 35 years, with a short stint at teaching tennis in there somewhere.

Rad
Rad, I remember that conversation vividly. I, too, remember Tonni making that deadpan remark. I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or to repeat it. I think I repeated it!

I have often wondered whether Tonni would be a bigger pipe-making star if he hadn't left Denmark and come to Kentucky. Certainly he has been changed by being here and I think it may be for the better.

One of my most interesting recollections with Tonni is bringing a high-grade (but not a Viking) pipe of mine to him to ask him to please explain to me why it wasn't a Viking.

He pointed at an insignificant break in the grain structure (hardly noticeable to me) and observed that a Viking wouldn't have that break.

One of the things I love about Tonni is that he will ignore grain to make a wonderful shape. Some of his most spectacular pipes are not Vikings. I respect him for that.

Often I've thought of just bringing the majority of my cash to shows just to buy Tonni's pipes, but I'm always waylaid....by people like YOU, Rad.

Oh well, I'm pretty well off for all my interruptions I suppose. ;-)

I have a Tonni Nielsen sandblast pickaxe (I guess that's what you'd call the shape). It's my only high grade pipe, and it's a WAY better smoking pipe than anything else I own. Worth every penny. I bought it from the nice folks at Iwan Ries while on a trip to Chicago last year.