Tony Hillerman Fans?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here enjoys the works of Tony Hillerman?

I think I've read every thing he wrote. Some of them twice.  Wish he was still alive and writing.  I spent a lot of time in the Southwest and he got the people and country right.

danindayton":c4b2vp8p said:
I think I've read every thing he wrote. Some of them twice.  Wish he was still alive and writing.  I spent a lot of time in the Southwest and he got the people and country right.
I was about to decide I was the only pipe smoker that knew of his fantastic descriptions of the Southwest. I really like the mystic Indian lore that he introduce into every story. Another writer that wrote about the Southwest and Indian lore was James D. Doss. In fact I really like his writings more than Hillerman. Have you ever read any of Doss's works? :)

AJ

ajn27511":8wp5hr3i said:
danindayton":8wp5hr3i said:
I was about to decide I was the only pipe smoker that knew of his fantastic descriptions of the Southwest. I really like the mystic Indian lore that he introduce into every story. Another writer that wrote about the Southwest and Indian lore was James D. Doss. In fact I really like his writings more than Hillerman. Have you ever read any of Doss's works? :)

AJ
I've read all of Hillerman, but I must admit I don't know Doss at all.

Dr.
I'm with you. I have never heard of Doss but, he is added to my search for list.

Hillerman's books (the Chee and Leaphorn ones anyway - that's all I read) were fun to read.

Will check out Doss.

Fazby":i87u7f0u said:
Hillerman's books (the Chee and Leaphorn ones anyway - that's all I read) were fun to read.

Will check out Doss.
I highly recommend the Charlie Moon series by Doss. I think it's his best work. :)

AJ

I am a long-time Hillerman fan. I lived in rez country for awhile. With his death his daughter is now writing his books. She was his assistant and researcher before his death. I've read one of hers and she does a really nice job of keeping his style intact.

I've read three or four of Doss' books. They are enjoyable. I'm not sure I like them as much as Hillerman, but I like them.

While I'm thinking about it, how do you feel about the Longmire series? Oh, the books, not the show. I haven't watched the show. I don't do television.

AJ I'm pretty sure I've read them all. He certainly had the desert southwest down pat. I dearly loved my time in that area of the country but can't handle the incessant heat year round anymore. Always appreciated the respect he gave his treatment of Native American characters. I had heard his daughter was continuing the stories but as yet haven't seen any of her work. I do believe I will have to break down and just order one to see how she fairs.

Jim

Really enjoyed Doss (never irritate Aunt Daisy!) and Anne Hillerman. Awaiting her next book...