Top 10 American makers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
One of my top 10 American makers is this wonderfully craggy pipe by Michael Butera, keeping it smokey with some Dunhill Dark Flake, what makers are in your top 10 American makers?
banjo

33665743798_c9060237b5_z_d.jpg

Good to see you sir! Was missing you!

Honestly, I don't have pipes from ten different makers, but so far all have been fine smokers!

I have three pipes carved by the late Bob Hayes and they are all fantastic smokers; he's my favorite.
Tim West gets another vote from me.

Well, I only have one but it is perfectly made and smokes like a dream, a Maddis Pipe by Michael Addis.

Jeff Gracik, Brad Pohlmann, Rad Davis, and Ernie Markle immediately come to mind for me, though they all come with a rather significant price tag.  I've also been following the work of Jeremiah Sandahl rather closely as of late, and will likely commission another pipe from him in the near future. Abe Herbaugh also gets a nod.

BB

Lessee, in no particular order-

Jesse Jones
Mark Tinsky
Rad Davis
Growley
Randy Wiley
RDPipes
Scottie Piersel
Joe Hinkle

Think that's it but may have missed one. And good to see you posting again Mr. Banjo!

Cheers,

RR

I was a big fan of Rad Davis and Brian Ruthenberg,
(neither of whom are still making pipes.)
I have twenty-seven Tinskys...that should be a clue.  ;)

Only one, and to me the best...Ron Powell of RdPipes...back in business in the near future.

I only have a handful of examples from American carvers but I would certainly place them among the best:

Larry Roush
Mark Tinsky

And a young carver, Clark Layton. I only have one of his pieces but it’s great, been admiring his work through Instagram.

Of the current offerings, Ryan Alden has to be a top choice (and a heck of a nice guy).

While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned. The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?

Here are the 10 I posted elsewhere, the last part of the post says a lot because Jack Howell, Growley, Tinsky and many more could rotate into the top 10 at any time.

In no particular order mine are:

Michael Butera (own 2)
Trevor Talbert (own 8 )
Scottie Piersel (own 2)
JT Cooke (own 9)
Rad Davis (own 3)
Brian Ruthenberg (own 3)
Jesse Jones
David Huber
Nate King
Bill Shalosky

Admittedly there are more that I could put in there any given day!
banjo

Zeno Marx":jllnher5 said:
While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned.  The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?

Zeno Marx":ivz9livp said:
While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned.  The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?
I think his pricing has driven him out of most pipers budgets. I cant recall the last time someone said they had a new Cooke (he is of course a fabulous craftsman). Is he still making pipes, and hitting the shows?

I do not have anything in the category of hand carved pipes. A few cobs though.

Gee, looking at my pipe racks I'm almost ashamed to realize how unpatriotic my choice in pipe makers seems to make me out to be.  Not too many American artisans standing out.  There are 8 Trevor Talberts, 1 Scott Klein, and 3 oldie but goodies by Elliott Nachwalter.  The standout of his, and a real personal fave is a beautiful signature smooth bent Dublin with beautiful plateau I bought directly from him around 15 years ago.

All the rest are from across the seas.

riff raff":1lqx7bn2 said:
Zeno Marx":1lqx7bn2 said:
I think his pricing has driven him out of most pipers budgets.  I cant recall the last time someone said they had a new Cooke (he is of course a fabulous craftsman).   Is he still making pipes, and hitting the shows?  
I've looked at his pipes on line and have read the accolades. They very occasionally pop up on the estate sites. Even then, they are far beyond my means. And I don't say this as a negative, as I'm sure they are worth it.

I love his unique blasts and they are one of a kind. Sadly, it's only the cost that prevents me from owning one. Be that as it may. I can still enjoy his creations vicariously.

Cheers,

RR