Topic: Black Cavendish, Cavendish...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello. Hope all are well. Within the past month I've finally had the pleasure of trying Boswell's "Northwoods". A blend of black Cavendish, Latakia & Virginia... I was immediately smitten, and now cannot get enough of the stuff! It's almost like an intoxicating "drug" with it's feel good "high"... Can any of you in the know recommend a like or similar blend with either black Cavendish or Cavendish in the mix? I've also had the pleasure of purchasing a tin of Rattray's Black Mallory which of course includes black Cavendish, Virginia, Oriental/Turkish and Latakia. Please help me with this as I'm only into this pipe hobby for about a year now, and there are SO many more blends to try... Remember, the caveat to this is the Cavendish's and quite possibly some of the Latakia involved into the mix also. I truly believe what "sold" me on the Black Mallory and Northwoods was the combo of the two!! Thanks for your help and experience. PiedPiper62

I don't smoke Latakia blends much these days, but early in my pipesmoking career I used to mix 50% Black Cav with 50% Latakia. I called it "Campfire Cavendish." You can use either Lane BCA, Stokkebye Black Cavendish, or something similar and an ounce of blending Latakia. That should tell you real quick if you like the Lat/Cav combo as much as you think.

I only smoke latakia mixtures from time to time.

If you don't mind a stronger tobacco, take a look at Sillem's Commodore Flake.

My experience with that type of blend suggests mixing your own is the way to go, and I'm not really a do-it-yourself type of guy. Then again, why not just stick with Northwoods?  :lol:

Richard Burley":76lq8n5z said:
Then again, why not just stick with Northwoods?  :lol:
Because every pipe smoker needs a closet full of jars and tins that they'll never smoke. ;)

DrumsAndBeer":02zqtml3 said:
Richard Burley":02zqtml3 said:
Then again, why not just stick with Northwoods?  :lol:
Because every pipe smoker needs a closet full of jars and tins that they'll never smoke. ;)
Heh. True, dat. Lost my head.

Thanks ALL for the suggestions. I have blending black Cavendish & Latakia too... I'll try my own blend or "mixture" It'll be fun to see what I can come-up with. Maybe a little extra black Cav. in the Black Mallory! Enough in the Northwoods already. I want the best of both worlds, too. Can never have too much Latakia. Also love Pirate Kake. 75% Latakia. I'll add a little black Cav. to it too... Thanks & Best, PiedPiper62

Zeno Marx":p68mrz9i said:
Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard?  As luxurious as I've found present day.  To be certain, I'd ask them about the content.  I'm relatively sure it has black cavendish as an element, but I'm not 100%.  And it sure ain't $80+/LB.  YIKES!

https://www.4noggins.com/becks-ol-limey-bastard.aspx
Where do you see it's $80.00 /? They list it at $48.00/# :twisted: And to be lie 965 as they claim, it would hsve BROWN Cavendish in it ! :twisted: