Traffic question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
My wife and I were traveling south and wanted to make a left turn going east.
Our light was a flashing red arrow and there was no traffic going north.
What would you have done?

Honestly prolly would have waited got burned by a traffic cam once

In the case you describe I would treat a flashing red signal the same as stop sign. I would stop, check for traffic then proceed.

Down the street there is another intersection that has a flashing yellow arrow buy no red arrow.
I believe that the correct answer is stop and then proceed if there is no oncoming traffic.
I think the difference between the two intersections is the flashing red is at the top of a hill while the flashing yellow is not.

The imperative concept here is the question: in what state? Traffic laws are different wherever you go.

Here in Oregon a red turn arrow that flashes (if we even have that) would likely mean to stop then proceed in turn. The vehicle to the right at a 4-way has the right of way. The flashing yellow arrow (very common here) almost always means proceed without stopping, but with caution, yielding to oncoming traffic.

All of this is really rather academic...until the right front headlight and quarter panel of your Cooper Mini is lodged underneath the front of a street sweeper, dump truck or cement mixer.

Obviously you don't have to stop on a flashing yellow but you do with a flashing red. I'm staying in AZ and I see drivers get confused with the crosswalks across major streets that they have in cities here. They are red lights that start flashing for a very short time then go solid then flash for a long time. I see driver just stop the whole time. Some correctly stop and go when flashing and most just run the flashing red. Back home in WI they are controlled by flashing yellow strobe lights. :shock:

I forgot to add...we did not stop at the flashing red arrow and were stopped by an officer.
My wife showed him her license and prof of insurance and he said "drives safely and have a nice day."
He also said that lots of people have problems with a flashing red arrow.
We also live in Missouri.