Triangle Area Pipe Show (TAPS) Raleigh

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2027

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Nice show, small venue at the State Fairgrounds building. Got to hang out with R.A. most of the afternoon telling stories and smoking different blends. R.A. doesn't live too far from me so I may be able to twist his arm and meet up at a local watering hole near him that I frequent from time to time.

My local B&M participated in the show for the first time. Phil (PipeAndLeaf.com) is a great guy and bought Tobacconist of Cary a few years ago. The old owner pretty much killed the pipe business and focused on cigars. Phil has been changing that shortcoming the last 6 months and has been adding a very nice selection of tobacs and pipes (Savinelli, Peterson, etc) and put them front in center of the store. The TAPS show was a great way to let everyone know in the local area that the Triangle has a committed pipe store and he seemed to be well received. For folks not in the Raleigh area the pickin's have been slim for the pipe connoisseur. Most just order online or drive down to JR's Cigars down I-95 or up on I-40 about an hour away.

I heard a rumor that Russ (PipesAndCigars.com) was working on an Escudo blend like the days of old. I was able to score a sample after giving Russ the secret high sign (actually I begged) and he obliged. Immediately after lighting this up I had verbal, "Oh Wow" moment. This is a savory tasty blend that I hope he will sell one day. He doesn't even have a name for it yet. Keep an eye out for a new one from Russ, it is going to be good one.

It was good to meet a fellow member of BoB boards, I enjoyed the show and the good conversation. Its been a busy spring first chance I've had to log on and read the board since the show.

Next time I'm out near Cary I'll stop and check out Tobacconist of Cary and see the changes its been a couple of years since I was there the pipe part was quite slim back then. Good to know someone is doing more with pipes.

A beer sounds good I been meaning to check out Clubhouse restaurant for a couple of years now.