Tried "Savage Tobaccos" or "Vive Le Saucisse!"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdus

Reaction score
Inspired after opening the P&C catalog, smelling of a tobacco warehouse, an idea rose in my head like a deep cloud of blue smoke. What does "average Joe" man smoke?

Here I am buying up Seattle Pipe Club, Escudo, Presbyterian and GL Pease Westminster (my new favorite), but what does the average Joe stuff in his pipe? What were the brands that even I know from hearing about pipe tobacco before I smoked pipe tobacco? Or what brands does my eye catch in the drugstore checkout line?

I promptly ordered (now wait does Average Joe order his tobacco online? Should I have bought it at the corner drugstore next to the Anthony and Cleopatra or Backwoods cigars?) a package of somewhat samplers. Captain Black (Royal and Regular), Casey Jones, Carter Hall and Peter Stokkebye (English Luxury) and I had some 965 clone in my wishlist.

Getting the package, I opened most of them (oh my were they soft) and smelled just about each one. The scent took me back to those thrilling days of yesteryear when I worked in the French Quarter and Metairie selling cigars. I remember the sweet sweet candy smell of the tobaccos we had for sale and a bell rang in my head as a warning. The same bell I have in my head for drinking- "Be careful of the sweet stuff." I happily ignored it.

My throat wishes I hadn't.

I filled up a cob with Cappy Black Royal and the day after that tried the Carter Hall. I find Captain Black to be candy for men, so very sweet. I like it to caramelize my pipe the same way I like peanut oil for my cast iron. Carter Hall was a bit less sweet but I still had to remind myself not to smoke it hot.

The entire two nights, my throat ached like a child's cold. I coughed like I needed an oxygen tank nearby. I just don't know how "average Joe" smokes all that. Do they smoke it slow, cold, warm, hot? If I felt like this every day, I just would not have this hobby, ever. I would collect toy trains or widdle wood.

For now I just think that the tobacco was way to wet to be smoked. I smoked it like the wonderful dry sausage smelling tobaccos that I love, and got fried. Like the prom-date that has the sweet tasting drink. Tastes great the night before but you're gone the next day. So I have them out drying for a bit, like coffee beans, hoping it gets better.

But my compliments to all those "average Joes" that HAVE to smoke this stuff. Because I think if I HAD to smoke them, I would be looking at stamps or buying little trees to put next to my tracks.

NOTE: the 965 my mixture clone was pretty good. Only the Dunhill original smelled a bit sweeter and smoked more sausagier.

With October, sneaking its haunting eye around the corner, the humidity is lessening. But what really ticks me off is that now that Fall is falling, my banana tree is sprouting. Are you really going to do that now?

I like to think im an average Joe, I smoke mostly cornel and Diehl tobacco's. I do enjoy Carter Hall every now and then. Add for the really sweet wet stuff, I haven't really enjoyed them.

I just can't handle most aromatics! Tried damn near all of at one time or another; just couldn't make a go of them!! I do enjoy Bob's CF & The Mayors CF. In my day (wayyyy back when!), "regular Joes" smoked Granger, PA, CH, 1/2 & 1/2, SWR, George Washington, Masterpiece, Mixture 79, Middleton's Cherry Blend, etc. They smoked it all day, in one pipe, bowl after bowl!! I do enjoy CH and, somewhat, PA. :cheers: FTRPLT

Ooooooooh so its an aromatic thing? Dang I swore that fizzle off decades ago! You guys are awesome!