Tried some cherry blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fazby

Reaction score
Edited 12/15/16 - some additions; some rearranging

Normally, I have not been much of an aromatic fan, having only really liked Dan’s Blue Note and IRC Three Star Blue.  I tend toward virginia and latakia blends. However, I decided to try a bunch of cherry blends along with a few others. The results are basically three groups, and one absolute reject. Man, this was fun!

Possibly useful for a sort of calibration: If you enjoy a blend in a group, you may like others that are included. Conversely, you may eliminate blends if you didn’t like one in that group.

Caveats:
1. This is subjective and based on my taste preferences and notions of strength. YMMV.
2. I normally smoke one bowl a day. If I was looking for an all-day blend, I might shift groups.
3. Not at all scientific. Gave up quickly on some blends; spent more time with some because I really enjoyed them
4. They blends are in alpha order in the groups. No attempt to rank these within a group is made.

Pipes used: Cob, Meerschaum (ideal for tasting!); Savinelli “author”, Ferndown billiard, Peterson bent billiard, and LaCroix bulldog
The group one blends did not get more than two or three bowls as I wasn’t getting anything from the blend. The ones noted as ‘very small sample’ involved little sample bags from the Chicago Show.

Reject:
McLintock Black Cherry – this had an off taste that simply would not go away. Can’t get past it. Otherwise, I think it would have been a really nice blend.

Group one - too light for me
No other fault here. No off taste, nothing bad, except I couldn’t taste it.  Too light/mild. All I got was a burned tongue from puffing too hard trying to get flavor.  For me, since it is just Steam, Na Na Hey Hey  Goodbye.  If you like ‘em very light, you may like these.
C&D Cherry Cavendish
Lane 1Q (not cherry & very small sample)
Lane MV1000 (not cherry & very small sample)
MacBaren 7 Seas Red
Newminster Very Cherry
Sutliffe April Dawn

Group two – nice, acceptable, and enjoyable; happy to smoke ‘em and recommended
These are nice, soft smokes; potentially good all day blends.  The flavor dissipates quickly in many, but the tobacco is good and provides an enjoyable smoke. The last half to two thirds of the bowl is very good – the blends sort of settle in.  
CAO Cherry Bomb – nice and will actually dry when the tin is left open
Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry – can burn a bit hot, but tasty
IRC Gourmet Aromatic - more subtle flavor
IRC Cherry Cordial - a little more flavor that the one above
Lane Dark Red - little flavor to me. TK6 is better in my opinion
McClelland Three Cherry Blend
Paladin (this surprised me)
PS Cherry Bon Bon (not as good as the Black Cherry Cavendish)
PS Cherry
Stanwell Cherry - light flavor

Group three – the (my) favorites; my first choice and highly recommended (see caveat two)
These keep the cherry flavor though the bowl. The tobacco is good as well.
Bjarne Viking Erik the Red - nice cherry flavor and good tobacco
Captain Black Red Sky –closer to medium than most aromatic blends.
Cult Blood Red Moon – just plain tasty
Decatur Cherry - Nice soft blend, good flavor
G&H Top Black Cherry - good tobacco, and decent cherry flavor. Hard to keep lit, though
Lane HG 2000 (not cherry)
Lane TK 6 – very similar to the Captain Black Red Sea. Saw this referred to as “Take 6”-I like that.
PS Black Cherry Cavendish – a little hard to keep lit; probably should have dried it a little more
P&C Scotty’s Butternut Burley (not cherry)
P&C Out of Office Civic Duty - quite enjoyable. Edged out by others, but good; especially price

I hope you find this useful!

You missed the best cherry blend by far....top black cherry....GH cherry & vanilla is also really fantastic

I was gonna say, G&H Top Black Cherry. It's the best I have tasted as far as cherry blends go.

Another vote for Top Black Cherry. It's the only cherry blend I smoke.

Very good report on cherry blends! I wish I had had this summary before I started buying cherry blends a year ago. I've got some of most of the ones in your favorites list but haven't smoked them yet. When I do, it will be interesting to compare notes. Thanks for posting this!

I dont smoke aromatics usually but when I do I enjoy a cherry blend. Right now I have McC three cherries, C&d dark cherry and c&d black cherry. I am always looking for a good cherry blend for that once in a few months smoke.

Aw, come on now!! No Middleton's Cherry Blend??? That wonder of room note that would burn thru steel armor plate not to mention your tongue!!!! Paladin's Black Cherry?!? Anyone that can handle that stuff (I'm being kind here!!) is one heck of a fine pipe smoker. PBC ranks right there with Mixture No. 79 as the worst 'baccy on my list of "Never smoke agains!!!"" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cheers: FTRPLT

The only cherry blend I can think of having smoked beyond an OTC pg laden bag of mess is GH&Co. Black Cherry Twist. Good stuff.

juanmedusa":pwtif0m7 said:
The only cherry blend I can think of having smoked beyond an OTC pg laden bag of mess is GH&Co. Black Cherry Twist. Good stuff.
Excellent, but not at all what comes to mind for most people when they think of a "cherry blend." I'm imagining offering a bowl to some poor sap whose usual smoke is Captain Black Cherry or the like. :)

fsu92john":a0pulilx said:
juanmedusa":a0pulilx said:
Excellent, but not at all what comes to mind for most people when they think of a "cherry blend." I'm imagining offering a bowl to some poor sap whose usual smoke is Captain Black Cherry or the like. :)
Yeah, you're right. It's more gh&co. twist than black cherry blend. Watch out folks.

The only way I like cherries are on cakes and ice creams. Certainly NOT in my pipe :shock:

It might not be just cherry, but Devil's Holiday is a great berry blend if you haven't tried it.

OK, I tried G&H Top Black Cherry. Yep, it is good, but hard to keep lit. Probably need to dry it more.

I tried a few more and added them. A couple of blends grew on me and moved up. Some I liked less as time went on, so they slipped in the rankings.

I am through with trying new Cherry blends, as I now have a selection I can rotate through. (yeah, I don't believe that either..)

GH&Co. Black Cherry Twist I really enjoy!!! Hobbits Weed is very good and can only be purchased here....www.tewksburycompany.com/newsite/

I blend my own and it's very similar to Hobbits Weed but in my opinion it's better and cheaper, called Ted's Weed. I've made this blend for over 30 years.
Also, I agree with you on Lane TK-6. I would not consider this a full Cherry flavor but it's a fruity taste that burns well, great room note and absolutely NO tongue bite. Once purchased age in a glass jar for a minimum of 6 months, makes all the difference :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Gosh, this has brought back some memories!

Top Black cherry was perhaps the 2nd or 3rd baccy I ever smoked. Although I haven't returned to it since (there was just too much choice for a fledgling piper!) I do recall I enjoyed at the time. Mm...

Did not see anyone mention Samuel Gawith - Celtic Talisman it has a cherry flavor. I cant remember if I smoked any it was so long ago. So no help there......