Trooper Island.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Just noticed the link under Jeepernicks posts. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/island.htm

Fellers if you ever feel the need to help some decent folk out in doing a decent thing for underprivileged kids this is one worthy place to send a few bucks.
This is not a State funded or ran program it was 100% thought up by the Troopers as a way of helping out the kids that they dealt with on a daily basis. It is funded by Troopers and donations and with a little help from 'volunteer instructors and councilors' completely ran by Troopers.

I can tell you from personal experience that it leaves an impression on a dirt poor kid from the hills.

Any donations are tax deductible too! I had the priveledge to sponsor the son of a gal that works with my wife. He had a blast. The only thing the kids are required to bring are clothes. Everything else is provided at no charge. That's right the kids pay nothing to attend. From the moment they leave their house till the time they get home, even transportation to and from. It really is a great program.

My experience of the island was somewhat different though. I was chased by instructors with simmunition pistols, threatened with pepper spray and tear gas, had to fight someone in a Red Man suit, and rake all the leaves on the entire island (I was in the KSP academy at the time). The kids that attend have a great time.

That is a pretty awesome breath of fresh air!

What a noble endeaver!