TRUE GRIT Matt Damon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
Just saw the new True Grit Movie...Matt Damons character smokes a handsome MEER with a bent amber stem...anybody know where you can buy one just like it? It is a very attractive pipe, I think it would go well with my Peterson collection of sherlock holmes pipes....
Thanks in advance..Greg

Here's a grab of a screen still from one of the trailers:

Shouldn't be hard to find--it's a bent egg shape. One of the Brothers can steer you to a good maker.

(Maybe an homage to Lee van Cleef's Peterson meer?)

I would love to find someone who could make this pipe....after this movie...there might be some demand for this pipe....thanks

I'm sure if you got some good photos of it to Sinan Altinok he could whip up a few.

I didn't know if it was a meer or not. The knob at the bottom of the bowl seems more in line with a clay pipe.

Handsome Dynamite":nbyvf4ep said:
I didn't know if it was a meer or not. The knob at the bottom of the bowl seems more in line with a clay pipe.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but if he ever handled it by the bowl while smoking it's safe to say it's not clay. A friend of mine had a clay churchwarden once and boy does that bowl get hot! Ouch!

My wife and I really enjoyed the movie, (as we live one county away from Yell County!). I also liked the more traditional English dialect using no contractions. The Boston Mountains (Southern flank of the Ozark Plateau) was heavily populated by hill-Scots/Irish from the Appalachian that had kept that rural, English tradition alive. Rather accurate for an historical movie.

I also noticed the pipe right off and thought of the Lee van Cleef scenes from the Spaghetti Westerns. I didn't notice any button on the bottom, and it sure looked like a meer of that day to me.

Natch

I saw it on Monday and really enjoyed it. And I agree that it certainly looks like a meer. I had a chuckle when Damon tried to place it in a little ash tray and it wound up just sitting sideways. A real pipe smoker would have leaned it against the edge! :lol: