Tsubame B5 Japanese College Notebook

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
What is it about Japanese paper that makes fountain pen users giddy with delight? Consider that Japan is a country that embraces the art of the pen like no other. Kids use fountain pens in school. So paper is also a revered product and papers friendly to fountain pen inks are held in high regard.

I've not used these 100 sheet notebooks by Tsubame, but I have some on order. Below are a link and the vendor's description...and a photo or two.

http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/tsubame-japanese-college-composition-notebooks.html

If ever there was an "iconic" notebook of Japan, the Tsubame Note would be it. Its smooth laid-finish paper, soft gray cover flecked with money-paper-like threads, black spine and yellow thumb tape no doubt bring back warm memories to every student that attended college in Japan since the 1940s. In fact, it is still widely in use and has hardly changed in 60 years; basically, it is to Japan what the "composition notebook" is to the United States, except that it comes in multiple page counts, patterns and sizes...and has superior quality paper.

It is so ubiquitous that the are frequently featured in Japanese "goods" magazines, in movies, on TV and basically everywhere.

This listing is for the "B5" size, which measures approximately 7x10 inches....each varies slightly depending on the page count, so here are the exact dimensions:

100 sheets, 200 pages - 178x247mm (11mm thick), four signatures

(BY THE WAY...if you've never used a B5 size before...it's cool. Feels very "custom". Half way between the very personal A5 and the USA standard 8 1/2 x 11. Try it you'll like it.)

Price: $8.00 plus shipping.

(I found these in A5 on Rakutan for direct purchase from a Japanese vendor in a 5 pack for about $20 but the required EMS shipping put the tag at over $60. Ouch!)

All notebooks have lines spaced 7.5mm apart.

That is absolutely cool looking. What is it about paper and book binding that eludes Americano manufacturers? Apparently they don't see a market, or at least not one they want to enter. Ever seen leather-bound books from Europe? Stunning, even if you're illiterate. And the scent! (And the cost!) Make Eaton Press look cheap, which ain't easy.

Think I'll try a couple of those--one for me, one for a lady. Hope they're good. If not, it's on your head, Horse.

Richard Burley
I have yet to use any paper or notebooks shipped directly from Japan that did not meet my standards. Japan's paper products are far superior then our American made for sure!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Jet Pens got the Tsubame University A5 Notebooks with 30 pages for a rediculous $2.35 plus shipping.

I got my order of the the B5 (my favorite size...7"x10") Tsubame University Notebooks in. In a word...SWEET. I tried to out with my Lamy Logo medium nib and Lamy Black ink.

There's a finish that's termed a "laid" finish. Definition I looked up..."a subtle embossed texture with a crosshatch pattern that is reminiscent of a fine linen table cloth. Paper with a linen finish is often used for personal stationery, business letterhead, or fine restaurant menus …". That's what is going on with this paper.

Thinking about it, this paper and the overall notebook is SO Japanese. The presentation, the feel, is that of a well used everyday item. But the quality of the components is crazy good. The stiff grey paper cover with the threads in it...looking rather like the paper they print money on. The super quality and bank vault secure binding method of the stitched, glued and cloth taped combo. The yellow thumb tape. The laid bond feel and watermarking of the paper...there is very likely a Japanese word or phrase that represents this design ethic.

And BTW...the paper has quite a lot of tooth. It's very different from the Clairfontaine/Rhodia highly polished super smooth feel when writing on it. Both are wonderful, but different.

I'm very pleased to have found these. I truly love things that give the inpression that they were made as well as possible by someone who really cared. That's what I get from these.

Blackhorse
I greatly appreciate the heads up!! Can not beat that price with a stick!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

LC - my pleasure.

But now we're on to the next in line...(oh no, here we go again) the mighty and magnificent Maruman Mnemosyne N194A Special Memo Notepad - B5 - 7 mm Rule. Whew! That's a mouthful.

mar.oo.mon   nem.aw.sen.ee

Maruman Mnemosyne - lots of sizes in several styles. Very much very highly regarded for fountain pen users. More in a separate thread...