Twas a good day to fly (RC - that is)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Planes I took to the flying field today:
1. Great Planes - Electrostik (old thrasher)
2. Eflite - Rare Bear (speedy)
3. Great Planes - Cub 40 (the old girl)

Had a good day, good visit with several others at the field, and several good flights. Cub needed a little more tuning, but good to go now. All came home in one piece, and no damages to report.

52.75" Wingspan (That's a reflection on the wing, not an indention)

34.6" Wingspan (100+mph capable)

76.5" Wingspan (Danged ole 4-stroke glow engines)

George Kaplan":m3bepfe8 said:
I like that one in the middle!
That Rare Bear is a great little plane.
Problem is = it's get real small, really quick if you open up the throttle.

On a good dive it was clocked at 107 mph (I put a slightly larger prop on it).
Slow it down and it's as smooth as silk and flies like a dream.

Brewdude":pff57818 said:
Looks like a helluva good time to me.
It is - unless someone has a mishap and has to haul one home in a black plastic bag (to contain all the pieces).  :cry:

Ozark Wizard":pff57818 said:
Nice drones!
Nah, the Rare Bear is the only new one (bought this summer).
The other 2 are much older. The Cub was purchased well-used and the Electrostik was recovered by me in the woods.  The owner said I could have it if I wanted to wade through the thorn patches to get to it.  :lol:

Real neat stuff Rob ;) , I use to build model airplanes when I was very young but, never had one with an engine. Had a "57" Chevy funny car with a gas engine but, that's it.
Rubber band flyer was as close as I could get but, always wished I had a Corsair or a B-29 to fly.
Probably good I didn't cause not having the experience I would have come home in tears and, as you say, a black plastic bag full. :fpalm:

At 100 MPH I'd think taking time to sneeze could be disastrous. What fuel are you using?

mark":r0f5p9w2 said:
At 100 MPH I'd think taking time to sneeze could be disastrous. What fuel are you using?
Believe it or not, Mark, the Rare Bear is electric. An oversized motor and 4-cell Lipo battery (14.8v) makes it a screamer. Average of 7-minute flight time, but can be more if you fly it conservatively.

Electrostik is electric also, but the Cub is gas. It uses a 10% nitro fuel.

Cartaphilus":3xgik47k said:
Real neat stuff Rob ;) , I use to build model airplanes when I was very young but, never had one with an engine. Had a "57" Chevy funny car with a gas engine but, that's it.
Rubber band flyer was as close as I could get but, always wished I had a Corsair or a B-29 to fly.
Probably good I didn't cause not having the experience I would have come home in tears and, as you say, a black plastic bag full. :fpalm:
That happens, Ron. Some come out there and ask for help. Others, that don't ask for help, watch a few youtube videos and think they know it all. Watching their $300 plane turn into a pile that will fit into 2 grocery bags in a matter of seconds - they either ask for help the next time or just don't come back.

Very cool RC's Rob! Back when I was a kid, there was an engineer who lived across the street, who built balsa nitro planes. I was always fascinated watching him taxi one around the driveway upon completion.

I've watched some of the you tube vids of the more modern electric versions, and they make it look simple, but I bet it's easy to crash without some much needed skills.

Those are some really neat fly birds ya got there Rob!! made some balsa gliders back in my early teens but couldn't afford the motor powered ones !! But I'd always go and watch with amazement the RC boys and their birds !! Nice stuff !! :) :)

Great planes. Always wanted to get into this hobby. Agree with Ron. Love to have some old warbirds. A Mark IX Spit and a P51 for me, I think. Second thought, throw in a 'Jug' for good measure.

Dutch":8uwj9ewn said:
I've watched some of the you tube vids of the more modern electric versions, and they make it look simple, but I bet it's easy to crash without some much needed skills.
Actually there is a beginner's plane called the 'Eflite Apprentice' with what they call 'SAFE' technology that almost allows a newcomer to the hobby to fly on their own. Very little instruction is required to successfully fly this plane, and it's a great building platform.  You can actually watch a couple hours worth of youtube videos (on learning to fly RC) and then successfully go fly this thing. Technology really has come that far.

monbla256":8uwj9ewn said:
Those are some really neat fly birds ya got there Rob!!  made some balsa gliders back in my early teens but couldn't afford the motor powered ones !! But I'd always go and watch with amazement the RC boys and their birds !! Nice stuff !! :) :)
Hey - it's never too late.  I know for sure there is a flying club in your area, or at least not far from it. BTW- i've got several other planes, but I can only haul just so many at a time in the Avalanche. :)

Puffer Mark":kemba4wb said:
Great planes. Always wanted to get into this hobby. Agree with Ron. Love to have some old warbirds. A Mark IX Spit and a P51 for me, I think. Second thought, throw in a 'Jug' for good measure.
Warbirds are a lot of fun, but the RC versions have most of the same characteristics (good and bad) that the real ones had.  Everyone wants to start off with warbirds or 'cool' planes, but a good Trainer is the only way to get started.  If you think about it - military pilots don't start out with F-14's or high-performance jets.  They start out with trainer versions as well, so it's a logical progression.

That specific model I mentioned to Dutch in the above-post  is a great way to get into the hobby.  You can actually watch a couple hours worth of youtube videos (on learning to fly RC) and then successfully go fly this thing. Technology really has come that far.