Two new pipes for Jers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jers

Reaction score
Doh - I've finally worked out how to post photographs on the site so I can put up a couple of pictures of the 2 pipes I recently acquired.

The first pipe, a Parker (believed to be from the 1950's), was bought following some great advice from several brothers (Ye Olde Pipe Rack: Dunhill Factory made Parker pipes). You guys know who you are and thanks again. The pipe came with lots of interesting extras such as the original box, instructions, fittings ect..

The second pipe, a Mario Grandi, which arrived today from Italy was the result of a top tip from kaiser83. It was a tip for which I am very, very grateful.

When I ripped opening the packaging on this pipe earlier today I smiled like a 5 year old ripping open Christmas presents. To my eye it is one big hunk of gorgeous. I've held one of my Pete's alongside to give an idea of scale........I think I'm in love.

I havent smoked it yet as I'm suffering a slight headache and I refuse to have a first sail with this pipe under anything less than perfect conditions.

Thanks again Kaiser.

BTW I have never been accused of being able to take a good photograph......its unlikely ever to happen.

Both, very nice!
I like the case candy that came with the Parker, always nice to have some vintage ephemera.
And the Grandi looks like it's just begging to be tested... 8)

Thanks Harlock.

I've taken painkillers and I'm sitting like that 5 year old on Christmas eve....

waiting......

waiting......*drums fingers*

don't you just hate having a sore head?

Fraternally

Jers

Nice score, I love that Parker.

I had been scared off of Mario Grandi by the negative commentary floating around these intertubes, but I recently acquired one from one of our brothers and I am quite happy with it. Mine, at least, is well made pipe and a great smoker. Yours is gorgeous, I'm sure she'll smoke sweet for you.

The Parker's beautiful !

The Grandi's pretty big but, if you like big, very nice indeed.

:face:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

The dirty deed is done.......the Mario Grandi is taking its first sail and it's all good so far.

I had to use a spade and get help from two neighbours to fill it but it's smoking well. The only thing I'm finding strange is the size of the bit - this is definitely never going to be a pipe smoked comfortably whilst hands free.

BTW I should have mentioned that the Parker smokes very well for me - the only thing I have noticed is that if smoked too hard the bowl can get warm/hot quickly. Easily solved by setting the pipe down for a few minutes, running a pipe cleaner through the mouthpiece and restarting.

The Parker came with two metal inserts for the stem. Neither fits at present as it appears that a metal collar/end of tube is broken off and stuck near in the shank near the bowl.

Once I have finished smoking the Mario Grandi I will try to get a photo and post it on the site for some advice. I don't use filters in any of my pipes but it might be nice to have the Parker in full working order

Thanks again guys for your help in acquiring both of these pipes.

Fraternally

Jers.

it appears that a metal collar/end of tube is broken off and stuck near in the shank near the bowl.
A not uncommon problem with old Parkers. Problem is, it narrows the airway even further.

:face:

Great illustration of why the Dunhill classification system refers to bowl size. the Parker and the Grandi are approx the same length. It's the proportions that make me say, "Wow!" Just my .02. bt I'd like the Grandi better if that chunk o' briar had been carved into two Parker size pipes. But then it wouldn't be a Grandi, now would it? Hope yot headache goes away and let's you enjoy your new acquisitions.

Jers":hfwjkxby said:
BTW I should have mentioned that the Parker smokes very well for me - the only thing I have noticed is that if smoked too hard the bowl can get warm/hot quickly. Easily solved by setting the pipe down for a few minutes, running a pipe cleaner through the mouthpiece and restarting.
This will diminish dramatically as you build a little cake.

WOW!!! Congratulations on finding TWO beautiful pipes.

The Grandi will be to grand for me but the Parker.....what a pipe!!

I also had a pipe with a piece of metal stuck inside. I've removed it by, very carefully, drilling into it until the "bit bit" into the metal. I then switched the drill to reverse and.....out she came!!

But, I'm pretty sure someone else on the forum will give you some less risky advice.

Two awesome pipes! Congrats!

I especially like the Parker. Classic and handsome. Enjoy them both! :cheers:

Thanks guys - kind comments.

Much appreciated.

Jers

ps I couldnt resist a second smoke at the Grandi this evening. It's in part a slightly childish attraction....anybody else remember 'Land of the Giants'?

Glad you are enjoying the Grandi Jers. They did have issues early on with drilling but those were fixed rapidly by the maker...Aldo Perluigi or something of that nature. He's been in business right about 32 years now in the pipe world and this is just another line of his pipes that tend to be a little bigger. I have yet to encounter a Grandi myself that wasn't a great smoker. Congrats on the two nice scores.