UFO Sighting or RC 'Flying Trash Can Lid' ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_In_MO

Smoker of Fine Aromatics
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, it's called 'The Nutball' - a 24" flying disc. Simple 3-channel control (Rudder, Elevator, and Throttle) and super cheap to build - this one is made from 1/2" foam board. It's a quick build using low-temp hot glue, is ugly as can be, but the potential exists for many hours of fun.  Not to mention - it always draws attention, mostly due to it's unique shape and amazing flight characteristics.

The slight rise on the left and right edges help it to be self-leveling in flight, so it's easy to fly - but is highly manuverable if you want it to be due to them amount of rudder and elevator travel.

This pic was taken before a prop was installed, and the Battery sticks to the Velcro in front.

8)

Hey Rob! That's mighty dadburn cool, in fact I could use one around here to drop little bombs on the stinking neighbors mutts. ;)

Cartaphilus":pkpvi9bq said:
Hey Rob! That's mighty dadburn cool, in fact I could use one around here to drop little bombs on the stinking neighbors mutts. ;)
Thanks, Ron!

For a few years now, i've been buying planes instead of scratch building.  Along the way -  people have given me old, crashed, or non-working planes for me to part out.  Now i'm building a few with scavenged (and nearly free) parts and a trip to Lowes or the local hardware store.  Not pretty, once again, but fully functional and a lot of fun.

Best part is - if I crash and total that flying trash can lid, i'm out maybe $2 worth of foam board and a little hot glue.  lol
95% of the time, all the rest of the parts survive.

Rob_In_MO":fohrq3x5 said:
Cartaphilus":fohrq3x5 said:
Thanks, Ron!

For a few years i've been buying planes, and people have given me old, crashed, or non-working planes for me to part out.  Now i'm building a few with scavenged (and nearly free) parts and a trip to Lowes or the local hardware store.  Not pretty, once again, but fully functional and a lot of fun.

Best part is - if I crash and total that flying trash can lid, i'm out maybe $2 worth of foam board.  lol
95% of the time, all the rest of the parts survive.
Hey nothing wrong with that sir, ones man's junk is another man's treasure.
That's how I've built many a computer and the one I'm still using today. ;)

So $50 for the hardware and $50 ??? for the transmitter/receiver I can be flying an easily repaired highly maneuverable distinctively odd plane?

HMMMMM,,,I'll have to check this out a little more.

mark":96da2l5a said:
So $50 for the hardware and $50 ??? for the transmitter/receiver I can be flying an easily repaired highly maneuverable distinctively odd plane?

HMMMMM,,,I'll have to check this out a little more.
Already had the transmitter, receiver, servos, motor, all of it.  All I actually bought new was  4x8 sheet of 1/2" foam board and another pack of low-temp glue sticks.  Literally a $3 investment on my part. :lol:

If you really want to build one, i've got enough parts and pieces to help you throw one together.  You'll need your own transmitter and receiver, but I can help you with the rest.

I can also send you a link to the plans for building one, and all the tips/tricks you care to read about concerning this design.

Actually, here is the link. Printable plans are on page 2.

Too cool Rob! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I wondered where you have been. Out building flying saucers no doubt. 8)

Ozark Wizard":lv73n5e5 said:
Now that is some cool stuff right there
A stress-relieving way to spend an afternoon, Ozzy.

Dutch":lv73n5e5 said:
Too cool Rob! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I wondered where you have been. Out building flying saucers no doubt. 8)
Yes - been busy (and short-handed) at work, family member in the hospital again, and I just needed an afternoon away from it all.