Uhles #300

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
Just purchased a 7.5 oz bag from Uhles based on numerous recommendations and rave reviews. However, I'm finding that it is biting the living daylights out of me. I've tried several different sized pipes and am finding I get bit regardless. I know there are some uhles 300 fans on here. What's the secret guys? I consider myself an experienced pipe smoker and I'm ready to throw on the towel with this one! Help!

-Scott

Sorry to hear Uhle's 300 isn't working for you. I really like the stuff. Could it be the honey topping? Most burleys aren't especially "bitey". My experience with a large number of Uhle's blends is that they aren't very wet from the bag. Have you tried drying it a fair amount?
Glen

Big G":eybes18s said:
Sorry to hear Uhle's 300 isn't working for you. I really like the stuff. Could it be the honey topping? Most burleys aren't especially "bitey". My experience with a large number of Uhle's blends is that they aren't very wet from the bag. Have you tried drying it a fair amount?
Glen
Yeah I don't know if it's the honey topping or not? I have never read any reviews or heard from anyone that the stuff bites, so this is driving me crazy as I had such high expectations. It came fairly dry out of the bag so I couldn't imagine drying it out anymore. Maybe I will let some sit out for a day and see if that helps. At any rate, thanks for the response!

-Scott

Haven't had any bitey experiences with any of the Uhle's blends.

I smoke mine pretty dry, and sip them. I find this produces the best results. But the same could be said of many blends.

Try it in a different pipe and slow down. That's my best advice.

Love me some Uhle's. #255 is all that my late Pap smoked.

8)

Cheers,

RR

I too really like this blend. I tend to smoke it pretty dry. I have run into tongue bite towards the end of a larger bowled pipe but always blamed it on myself for technique (smoking to fast). Never really had any issues when smoking from what I would consider a mid-size pipe. Is it possible that it's a bad or contaminated bag? That actually happened to me once with another blend that I use to purchase in half pound sealed bags. It was like the stuff fermented. It was tongue bite the minute you lit up. Note: it was not a Uhles blend

Wound up setting some out on a paper towel for about 12 hours. Smoked some this morning, almost bone-dry, and experienced much less tongue bite than before. I also sipped some coffee along with the smoke, which also seemed to help. 300 seemed to come fairly dry out of the bag it arrived in, but I suppose (for me at least) it needs to be crunchy bone-dry in order to be smoked. Anyhow, thanks for the advice guys. Really is a wonderful blend with a nice, simple Burley flavor with a little sweetness to keep things interesting.

-Scott

Glad to hear you got that burley tamed down Scott. I love blend 300 and also the licorice laced 255. Gotta sip that stuff.
L J Peretti and Uhle's are the best Burley smokes around IMO.
:D

docwatson":z0h1egbe said:
Glad to hear you got that burley tamed down Scott. I love blend 300 and also the licorice laced 255. Gotta sip that stuff.
L J Peretti and Uhle's are the best Burley smokes around IMO.
:D
That is my go-to Uhle's blend. And Bishop's Move isn't far behind!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

Update on the Uhles 300. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Drying it out considerably, as well as smoking it while enjoying some nice hot coffee, has been the key to satisfaction with 300. I also recently purchased a Caminetto Business prince shape and have found that the smaller bowl size really works out well with 300. In the larger pipes, I have found it takes way too long to smoke the cubes and the blend gets bitter after awhile. Overall, this blend has been a bit finicky with me, but now that I have figured out what works and what doesn't work with it, I am extremely pleased!

-Scott

Glad you found a procedure that works for you. Uhle's makes some good blends, and I smoke several of them. What they fail to mention in the descriptions though, is they are just about all cased to some degree.

The majority of cube cut burley blends will smoke very similarly with slightly different nuances of flavor. I am a big fan of Uhle's and Peretti's Burleys, IMO they don't get any better than those. Glad you were able to work your way to enjoying them.

An update on my experience with Uhles #300 two years later....

So I kinda got tired of this blend after awhile and jarred up most of the pound in May of 2013. The tongue bite has minimized itself after extensive drying, but I still felt like I wasn't getting enough out of this stuff to continue smoking it.

A few weeks ago, I decided to open a jar and smoke some. Traditionally, the common thought with burleys are that they do not age. While this may be true, I have found that 2 years in the jars really softened this stuff quite a bit and the honey topping dropped off dramatically. What is left now is a very good old fashioned cubed Burley smoke that has almost no tongue bite whatsoever, and only a whisper of the honey topping. I have smoking this in small and large pipes alike, with great results all around. #300 works great in cobs (Burley's favorite pipe IMO), and also seems to smoke well in my larger Estella 115 EX without any hint of bitterness towards the bottom half of the bowl.

#300 will never be an everyday smoke for me, nor will it be part of the weekly rotation. However, it is a good honest smoke now after two years in the jar, and it certainly works as a crowd pleaser around non-smokers, as the aroma is quite pleasant.

Cheers,
Scott