Uhles Pipe Shop, Milwaukee WI...anyone have an opinion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Button

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Milwaukee at the end of March for work and naturally I did a search around my hotel for pipe/tobacco shops to visit. Tuns out Uhles is about a 7 minute walk from where I am staying.

What are peoples opinions of the shop and some of their house blends? I really enjoy Burley and mild VA's and it seems they have some nice looking house blends.

Thanks!

-Adam

Well...................I am on day2 of my sampler from Natch !!! and Ill tell ya that you HAVE TO stop by Uhle's for some baccy.

#300 and the Perfection Plug Burley are what Ive tried so far and they are both winnahs.
Plus....Id like to hear a story about the actual B&M in a future post :geek:

Back in 2006 I got to visit Uhle's while visiting Mike Brissett during the time my son was graduating from Navy boot camp in Chicago. I thought it was a very nice shop and it has some great blends. I have been ordering their blends ever since over the phone. Blend 71, Bishops Blend, and Golden Shag to name a few are my favorites.

I've never heard of the place myself, but those sound like hearty endorsements :!:

Mikem":y3jq2s2t said:
Back in 2006 I got to visit Uhle's while visiting Mike Brissett during the time my son was graduating from Navy boot camp in Chicago.
Godspeed your son :!:

United States Air Force vet here. Next time you see him, give him a manly hug and pat on the back from me will ya?

Great cube cut burley's, I'll add crushed white burley to the list, Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Frigid Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: :pale: :penguin:

Uhles doesn't have much of a selection of Va's in their house blends, but their English blends are excellent.

The Burley blends range all the way from natural unflavored to heavy aromatics, but even those smoke cleanly.

All are blended in house and some formulas date back to the mid 1930's.

Mike B

Bishop's Move and #300 are my two favorites, and each is my favorite brand in their categories of tobaccos. So load up your pipe and hop around the corner to Maders and have a good German beer on tap along with the best veil on earth.

Natch

I was at a conference in Milwaukee a couple of summers ago and I spent almost 5 hours at Uhle's. There are some great guys there and a fine selection of pipes and tobaccos. I bought a couple of pipes while I was there and one of them - a patent Dunhill prince is one of my favorite pipes of all time. I think it's a great place and I'd go in a heartbeat if I were in Milwaukee.

Excellent!

Thanks for all the advice from everyone!

I will be there from at the end of March Wednesday evening through Sunday morning. The conference is all day Thursday/Friday/and until 11 on Sat...so I am sure I'll make my way there on Sat afternoon.

I'll have to bring a couple of my pipes for the trip, although my co-worker I am traveling with from my office doesn't smoke pipes, but smokes cigars I believe, so maybe I'l coax him into coming along.

Anything fun to do in Milwaukee in the evening? I'll have all Saturday night to waste...

Many great German restaurants (and Greek, Serbian, Tai, Italian, etc.) with Maders and Karl Ratzhes (sp?)the famous two in the downtown area. Too cold in March to stroll down by the lakefront. Ambrosia Chocolate company is across from Maders and near Uhles, where else can you buy 32 pound bars of milk chocolate! Both are on Old World 3rd St. (just north of Wisconsin Ave.) and Old World Spice House has some of the best spices and dried cheese powders available. If you've got a car, head down to the South Side by Allen Bradley (look for the four-sided clock that's larger than Big Ben) and go to Zer Crone. A great dive/beer bar. Also, have a Sprecher Golden Amber for me (a local micro-brew we had by the barrels at our wedding).

Natch

Ahhhh Maders!
My mouth is watering thinking about a Jagerschnizle und spazle mit red kraut!

I do love German food...and beer. I may have to give that one a try!

Thanks again for everyones suggestions! Milwaukee is looking better and better now!

I was born and raised in Milwaukee. Another place worth mentioning is Serb Hall on 51st and Oklahoma. Best Friday night fish fry in town!

Yooper":nwr9wqtb said:
I was born and raised in Milwaukee. Another place worth mentioning is Serb Hall on 51st and Oklahoma. Best Friday night fish fry in town!
Don't get me started on Friday Night Fishfry's in Milwaukee, with potato pancakes on the side, served family style all you can eat, lake perch and haddock, man, I wish I was 12 years old back in Milwaukee again. Serb Hall has a fine fish fry with it's tomato based topping. I put myself through college tending bar at Old Town (a Serbian restaurant on the South side) and ate a lot of Serbian food.

And Yooper, I'm a Yooper by birth (Ontonagon) but raised in Cream City.

Natch

Wish they would ship to Michigan.. Too many tax rules etc.. Want to buy some of the #300. Was gifted another blend which tasted just fine.. Going to see what I can do to order from a shop in Michigan who handles some of Uhles blends.. Pay day.. Been looking forward to trying out some #300 for some time now..

My favorite shop. That might be because they are so close. But it's probably due to the fact the owners and operators are such fantastic people.

I have my own "mini Uhles" at home when I can't get there, complete with menu.

390061_10150399069567063_600177062_8968526_1060709454_n.jpg

Uhles rocks! It's what my late Pap smoked exclusively (#255) for all my years growing up. In fact I used to be able to go into the local drug store as a kid and buy a tin of it for his Christmas present. And it's what I started on in my pipe adventure. I figured if it was good enough for my Pap it was good enough for me!

Was a cheesehead for many years, 32 to be exact. Remember many fine fish fries, miss them actually.

Ah, the memories!

Cheers,

RR

So good to see this post S&B.. As noted I am locked out of postage from Uhles because I live in Michigan.. I have heard the #300 blend is great and will give it a try as soon as I can.. Then order more of course.. If its good stuff 8oz is a good amount to start with.. :cheers: