Unblown 2 liter soda pop bottles for tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon65

Reaction score
I was looking for a way to cellar some of my favorite blends. I wanted to be able to cellar most of a tin in a mason jar but be able to put a smaller amount in something more portable so that when I travel I could have a variety of blends with me. I found these unblown soda pop bottles on this website: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1389. I have been using them all summer and they seem to work well. Tobacco stays fresh and they fit the bill of being portable. What do you guys think? Has anybody else tried this?

Falcon65":zn8sdi2y said:
I was looking for a way to cellar some of my favorite blends. I wanted to be able to cellar most of a tin in a mason jar but be able to put a smaller amount in something more portable so that when I travel I could have a variety of blends with me. I found these unblown soda pop bottles on this website: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1389. I have been using them all summer and they seem to work well. Tobacco stays fresh and they fit the bill of being portable. What do you guys think? Has anybody else tried this?
Interesting. I had some troubles getting the link to work but eventually found the item to which you referred.

I travel a lot and have taken to bringing a large assortment of small amounts of tobaccos with me for my trips. For ones that aren't in 50g tins they are usually in zip-lock bags in which I got the tobacco (I'm mostly getting 1 or 2 oz samples right now). My wife has been getting spices at a natural food store and they come in a small plastic container with a pressure-fit plastic lid. These are great for a couple bowls-worth of tobacco for the ones I have in jars on my shelf. For smaller quantities I want to jar I have been using well cleaned jars in which came Polaner All Fruit. They have a vinyl seal around the inside of the screw on cap so appear to seal well enough for short-term shelf storage. I've even used a few of these to cellar some tobacco as well. No apparent aroma when I open the ice chest in which these are stored so I'm assuming that they are sealed pretty well.

I like the idea of a food jar. It would have a wider mouth. There are quite a few lightweight canisters marketed to backpackers. The flat bakelite disks that are posted in another thread look ideal.

J Soshae":lw9k9oos said:
I like the idea of a food jar. It would have a wider mouth. There are quite a few lightweight canisters marketed to backpackers. The flat bakelite disks that are posted in another thread look ideal.
The spice containers are oval so accommodate a finger and thumb reaching in to pull out a pinch of tobacco. Your post reminded me that I was going to comment on the subject containers being only 1" in diameter so maybe difficult from which to extract the tobacco. I like that the Polaner jars are glass so there's no danger of the off-gassing suspected in plastic containers, which I wouldn't use for long-term storage.

Did you mean to double post this?

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t18555-unblown-2-liter-soda-pop-bottles-for-tobacco