Under the radar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
What blends do you folks enjoy that are little known/little discussed/taken for granted/overlooked treasures?

For myself, Mac Baren Club Blend is my personal go-to all purpose tobacco. I love it. I love how spicy it is, I love how it tastes like tobacco and smells like marshmallows... I love the coins... I just love the whole thing, and hardly anybody else seems to ever smoke it.

I have a few other quiet "keepers" on my list - McConnell's Scottish Flake is a for-sure, will never not have on hand tobacco for me.

So what other "underexposed" brands do y'all enjoy? What's your secret weapon?

I've only been at this a short time, but I can't believe everyone isnt' smoking Mcclelland's Arcadia. I only heard of it because a BoB'er gave some to me. It's now my favorite blend and I'm trying to stockpile as much of it as I can for aging.

C&D Bayou Morning. A great earthy VaPer with a solid nic punch.

C&D Cordial. A medium English (think of a slightly amped version of Dunhill 965).

Both of these are favourites but neither receives much air-time on the forums.

I always try to have at least a pound of Gatlin-Burley on hand.

LtMac

Already left a review on it but Fincks Golden Cavendish is really a undiscovered gem.

Stokkeby Luxury Twist Flake

Its one of the sweetest virginia's I have tried

After aging 6 months ot is delicious

SG Cannon Plug. Well, it gets air-time, mostly negative. My stealth used to be RB Plug, but it's no longer imported. Both have "unique" flavor and get appreciative nods from third-parties. Both are quite possessive of pipes they're smoked in.

Buddy

I would have to concur with Dave -- Stokkebye's (sp?) Luxury Twist Flake is simply awesome -- I have some cellared that I can't wait to try, and I have some on hand that is one of my favorite blends "as is." I found out about it from a guy at Cup of Joe's who recommended it.

One I smoke regularly but rarely see it mentioned is Larsen's Blend #50. I'm not sure if it's made anymore, but do know it's not imported to the US anymore. It's very lightly maple scented with a very light touch of rum.

Jim

JJPHOTO":jcmf823i said:
I've only been at this a short time, but I can't believe everyone isnt' smoking Mcclelland's Arcadia. .
Cost may play a factor in that. I for one won't pay $11.00 for a tiny tin of the stuff.

L.J. Peretti has some hidden treasures. I'm especially fond of D-7485, British Blend, and BPC (burley plug cut).

Smokey

Bill":fhbzi9ht said:
Cost may play a factor in that. I for one won't pay $11.00 for a tiny tin of the stuff.
Actually $9.56... about a whole 60 cents more than most of the other popular blends.

smokey422":hpxkqa39 said:
L.J. Peretti has some hidden treasures. I'm especially fond of D-7485, British Blend, and BPC (burley plug cut).

Smokey
And their Blend No. 500 will put hair in places you didn't even know you had places!
:mrgreen:
Natch

smokey422":ih2g4pj6 said:

Smokey
That place is like 40 min from my house. I gotta get down there and pick up some blends. I love burley and I hear they have some of the best.

smokey422":r7rp5dn3 said:
L.J. Peretti has some hidden treasures.
Though I've not tried the blends you mentioned, L.J. Peretti offer very fine products indeed! Park Square is an awesome Virginia blend. Omega and Royal Blend stand right up side by side with anything made by 'The Dark Lord'. :D

Those who mention PS Luxury Twist Flake, I heartily agree as well. Straight out of the package it is a fine smoke, aged a couple of years it is nearly unparalleled! For Burley fanciers, I recommend PS Cub Cut (a VaBur presented in 'Grape Nuts' form)

Another 'sleeper blend' for me is Two Friends Redwood, a Vaper with attitude and a 'nic punch' that satisfies.

Esoterica Tilbury is a tobacco that is not talked about much but to me is one enjoyable tobacco. It is a straight Virginia that has somewhat of a musty, earthy undertone to it that I have not found in other blends. Very nice especially with a little age on it! :sunny:

OK, I'll fess up & reveal my secret "under-the-radar" blends, which don't seem to be mentioned much on the various boards.

From Samuel Gawith -

1. Kendal Plug ( which when I remember it, may just be my favorite Va. I rarely smoke it due to the prep time and these days I'm way too busy). excellent sweet Va.

2. Special No. 6. This is a sweet, mild natural ribbon cut Va.

3. Sam's Flake - full flavored Va/mild oriental

From Fribourg & Treyer

4. Vintage - a wonderful mix of brown and yellow Vas. Nice full, cool-smoking blend.

5. Golden Mixture - my favorite golden Va blend

6. Special Brown - Brown Va with the slightest hint of rum. Wonderful.

From the Esteemed House of GLPease:

7. Ashbury. Up there with Renaissance & Bohemian Scandal, my favorite of his many outstanding blends currently available.

From McClelland's

8. 211b Honeydew. The best aromatic - mostly I just taste sweet Va, but bystanders always comment on this. I feel like I'm cheating because I don't thnk of this as a real aromatic, but a Va blend with a nice topping, which is just a bit of sweet for me.

9. I'll second Arcadia

There you go. Cheers,

TC