Union Square

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool. i've only been here through the summer, so i probably did miss it. you certainly like the gl pease baccy's. me too. chelsea morning and westminster and union square. have some others i haven't gotten to yet. hey, i almost bought a Savinelli Horoscope. really nice looking pipes!

I do really love GLPlease's blends. Pease's blends transformed me from a pipe dilletante into a full fledged pipe smoker.

The Pease label has given me the confidence to experiment, and try things I haven't tried before. For instance, I had tried a lot of Latakia blends, but none of them took. Until Blackpoint. That one taught me how to love Latakia, and started my eventual turn from exclusively pure VA's, and transformed me into a smoker of English blends. Chelsea Morning was my first regular English blend, and I eventually found perfection in Maltese Falcon, which simply tastes like no other tobacco I have ever smoked. My favorite by far. I'd take it over Penzance any day of the week.

The only other blender I have had similiar experience with is McClelland. But for me, McClelland is all about dark stoved VA's and Syrian Latakia.

Esoterica is also good, but I find the quality to be relatively uneven. Same with Gawith and Hoggarth. Plus, they are all so damned hard to get these days . . . another plus of being a dedicated Pease smoker!

Matthew":x8rvh1tq said:
I do really love GLPlease's blends. Pease's blends transformed me from a pipe dilletante into a full fledged pipe smoker.

The Pease label has given me the confidence to experiment, and try things I haven't tried before. For instance, I had tried a lot of Latakia blends, but none of them took. Until Blackpoint. That one taught me how to love Latakia, and started my eventual turn from exclusively pure VA's, and transformed me into a smoker of English blends. Chelsea Morning was my first regular English blend, and I eventually found perfection in Maltese Falcon, which simply tastes like no other tobacco I have ever smoked. My favorite by far. I'd take it over Penzance any day of the week.

The only other blender I have had similiar experience with is McClelland. But for me, McClelland is all about dark stoved VA's and Syrian Latakia.

Esoterica is also good, but I find the quality to be relatively uneven. Same with Gawith and Hoggarth. Plus, they are all so damned hard to get these days . . . another plus of being a dedicated Pease smoker!
i was just recently gifted a healthy sample of maltese falcon. yeah, i loved it. was a nice cross between westminster and mcclelland's frog morton (a very nice mild english, if you haven't had it.) i'll have to smoke blackpoint. actually, i have a whole tin sitting on my shelf i haven't even tried. my brother gave it to me because he didn't like it (he's not big on latakia). i'll give it a go.

matthew, you sound very experienced in the pipe smoking realm. you need to post more, man!!!

bruins":gd27bn8f said:
hey, i almost bought a Savinelli Horoscope. really nice looking pipes!
My Horoscope cost me $70 new, and it has become one of favorite pipes. I think I enjoy smoking it even more than my Radice Clear (which was an extremely generous gift from a pipe smoking friend. Radice's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my personal price range . . .)

Horoscope's are great pipes for the price!!!

bruins":16e1p6xv said:
matthew, you sound very experienced in the pipe smoking realm. you need to post more, man!!!
Oh, wow, thanks.

I'm actually only a young sprig of 37, and have only been smoking a pipe for just over a year. :oops: But I took to it quite strongly, and it has afforded me an enormous amount of pleasure as a full-fledged hobby ... so much to try, so much artistry and history tied up in the art of pipe smoking ... so much more than just getting the N fix. I do love it, but geez, I still have a lot to learn!

i'm in the same boat. (you're boat is a little ahead of mine.) i waisted some of my time on aromatics and then wasted some more time puffing my pipe too hard so that all i got out of anything not overtly sweet was harsh and ashy. anyway, BoB members straightened me right out and now i'm loving escudo and some of the gl blends. so i've got some catching up to do, but i feel like i grasp the flavors of the different ingredients now, and as you said, it's a terrific hobby and a life long pursuit and i've certainly made many friends here on the BoB. the only bummer is we can't all sit in somebody's garage and all smoke together!