Union Square

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew

Reaction score
Just popped a tin of the Dark Lord's "Union Square," with a year of age on it. I am astonished by how much the tin smells of orange juice.

This is my first experience with this blend. How do you guys handle these beautiful flakes? Rub out? Fold and stuff? What works best?

Yum.

Hey Mathew has anyone told you that you look a lot like me when I was younger? :lol!:
1134-86.jpg

Union Square is a superb tobacco. I like to dry it a bit, then just fold & stuff. It ages magnificently.

You sure you're not related to Valky?

I just opened my first tin last night and I did notice a citrus smell to it. It was also my first time with this blend so I tried it with a partial rub. Next bowl I'll try the fold method and longer drying time.

Falconer":khb2jfir said:
Hey Mathew has anyone told you that you look a lot like me when I was younger? :lol!:
1134-86.jpg
Heh. I could only hope to look that good with a pipe. My avatar is a picture of what I wish I looked like when I smoke my pipe . . .

I'm nowhere near as sexy as Falconer.

Matthew":p816fdak said:
Falconer":p816fdak said:
1134-86.jpg
Heh. I could only hope to look that good with a pipe. My avatar is a picture of what I wish I looked like when I smoke my pipe . . .

I'm nowhere near as sexy as Falconer.
It's a good Avatar. Post often I enjoy seeing the younger me now and then.

Oh and thanks for being so honest about the sexy thing. ;) :lol!: :suspect:

I passed Up Union Square just the other day. I'll have to try it soon.

Union Square is tasty stuff. I usually rub it out, as I do with most of the low-pressure C&D flakes.

Those of you that fold and stuff: do you fold only one flake? Or do you use more? I tried to fold and stuff the other night, and it was fine, but seemed like there wasn't nearly enough in the pipe with only one flake, so I dumped and rubbed. My VA/Va blend pipe has a pretty deep bowl.

As far as the tobac? Very, very tasty and the citrusy tang that I smelled upon tin opening was totally present in the smoke, which was interesting.

Matthew":8nlg8kd1 said:
Just popped a tin of the Dark Lord's "Union Square," with a year of age on it. I am astonished by how much the tin smells of orange juice.

This is my first experience with this blend. How do you guys handle these beautiful flakes? Rub out? Fold and stuff? What works best?

Yum.
It's amazing what pure tobacco can smell like, sometimes. The citrus notes are all natural. There are no sugars, casings or flavourings added to Union Square at all. It all comes from the pressing and fermentation.

I usually rub it out, myself, but I know a lot of folks like the denser smoke of a folded flake, and I do the same thing sometimes, if I've got the time for a LONG smoke. Play with it! There's no single right way, and different bowl geometries may call for different preparations.

Enjoy!
-glp

glpease":r6npybax said:
Matthew":r6npybax said:

Yum.
It's amazing what pure tobacco can smell like, sometimes. The citrus notes are all natural. There are no sugars, casings or flavourings added to Union Square at all. It all comes from the pressing and fermentation.

I usually rub it out, myself, but I know a lot of folks like the denser smoke of a folded flake, and I do the same thing sometimes, if I've got the time for a LONG smoke. Play with it! There's no single right way, and different bowl geometries may call for different preparations.

Enjoy!
-glp
Ah, advice from the master is a glorious thing.

Actually, the citrus smells were/are intoxicating. And this tobacco is one that actually carries the tin note into the smoke, which I love, and which also proves to me that the smells are from natural sources.

I'm such a giant fan of your English blends, I hope for more VA offerings after the Old London series is complete!

I have several tins of Chelsea Morning aging in the back of the cellar. I'm going to have to add Union Square. I hear nothing but great things about it.

Falconer":v9jlics5 said:
1134-86.jpg
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Valky who jacked who's avatar here???????? :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Union Square is really good VA, it has my vote!!!

Piet Binsbergen":s2k2818g said:
Falconer":s2k2818g said:
1134-86.jpg

ditto that, piet. i'm totally confused. besides, only my mom calls me matthew. who's matthew? :scratch:

bruins":cygkzzxb said:
Piet Binsbergen":cygkzzxb said:
Falconer":cygkzzxb said:
1134-86.jpg

ditto that, piet. i'm totally confused. besides, only my mom calls me matthew. who's matthew? :scratch:
Yea bud, double confusion..................................

Sigh. Another instance of my strange and constant ability to spread confusion and chaos wherever I go....

:suspect:

Matthew":bnbpmco6 said:
Sigh. Another instance of my strange and constant ability to spread confusion and chaos wherever I go....

You are forgiven bro!!

Matthew":1v8fzm84 said:

did you introduce yourself in the welcome wagon? somehow i missed it. welcome! (sorry to give you a hard time...it's just that you used to be somebody else. :scratch: we'll figure it out.)

did you introduce yourself in the welcome wagon? somehow i missed it. welcome! (sorry to give you a hard time...it's just that you used to be somebody else. :scratch: we'll figure it out.)
I did, way back in April. But I'm certainly not as active as most of you veterans around here ...

Avatar changed to alleviate further confusion. Can't change username... :roll: