Unique Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cramptholomew

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here, and just picked my pipes back up after tabbling in the sport a few years back. I've bought a plethora of different 'baccies in the last few months, most of which I've enjoyed. What I'm after are some singularly unique, and even weird blends. I enjoy one of a kind flavors - just like my tastes in music (if a singer/musician doesn't stand out as having their own truly unique flair, I don't generally revisit their music). Anyone here have any suggestions of currently available serious odd-balls, good or bad? I recently bought some GH Black Irish X rope, strictly BECAUSE of the extreme reviews. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting for a special occasion. I'll try anything once.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be here!

cramptholomew":3jippwp4 said:
Hi all, I'm new here, and just picked my pipes back up after tabbling in the sport a few years back. I've bought a plethora of different 'baccies in the last few months, most of which I've enjoyed. What I'm after are some singularly unique, and even weird blends. I enjoy one of a kind flavors - just like my tastes in music (if a singer/musician doesn't stand out as having their own truly unique flair, I don't generally revisit their music). Anyone here have any suggestions of currently available serious odd-balls, good or bad? I recently bought some GH Black Irish X rope, strictly BECAUSE of the extreme reviews. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting for a special occasion. I'll try anything once.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be here!
I rather enjoy the GH version myself; the Sam Gawith version is sometimes a bit much. Best of luck with it! You might also look into Tambolaka.

I have just looked into Tambolaka, and it seems a fool's errand. With a half hour of Google-Fu, I only found reviews, and notices of it's availability up until 2016. It sounds right up my alley, so I'm notably disheartened that it's currently unavailable.

cramptholomew":pimlzsda said:
I have just looked into Tambolaka, and it seems a fool's errand. With a half hour of Google-Fu, I only found reviews, and notices of it's availability up until 2016. It sounds right up my alley, so I'm notably disheartened that it's currently unavailable.
Sorry, I hadn't realized it was now hard to get again. Of course, when I tried it, I had to order it from Indonesia. :D

Funds used for blends other than Tambolaka represent money well spent.  IMHO

If you want something unique but wonderful...try some “Dark Horse” a John Patton bulk blend available at 4 Noggins online. It is a singular and succulent blending of Burley, Cigar Leaf, Turkish, Perique and Virginia. There’s not really anything else equivalent out there.

BTW: welcome to our little corner of the world.

Some other 'unique' blends: Sam Gawith's Grousemoor (if you like Luden's cough drops) & (if you can find it) RB Plug

Rattray's Exotic Orange. Vincent Manil's Semois. I consider MacBaren's standard blends to be unique because of what seems to be a distinctive honey-like topping. There's no mistaking them for something else.

cramptholomew":qtii1x53 said:
Anyone tried the Tabac Manil blends? They sound rather interesting...
Our posts crossed. Yep, that's a good one to try if you want "unique." You might want to read up on what to expect before purchase. I fell in love with it at first, especially in a cob. Welcome to the club, btw.

Thanks for the suggestions! The Manil stuff sounds kind of bizarre, but in a good way. If I get some, the Brumeuse sounds like a good place to start.

Which MacBaren standards do you suggest? I like strong flavors, and not opposed to aromatics. I believe everything has its place.

cramptholomew":hjza8cg1 said:
Anyone tried the Tabac Manil blends? They sound rather interesting...
Didn't care for them as they burn too fast for me. I do like many of the SG & GH brown ropes (flavored and non), and you can always try the various GH Lakelands.

cramptholomew":cvpfbsbl said:
...Which MacBaren standards do you suggest? I like strong flavors, and not opposed to aromatics. I believe everything has its place.
I like most, but especially the Acadian Perique--but it doesn't have the distinctive MacBaren perfume referred to above. If you want that, try the Scottish Blend, another favorite of mine.

DrT999":65ufrpin said:
you can always try the various GH Lakelands.
I got some Bosun Cut Plug to try a lakeland style. I was blown back by the floral topping! The lakeland effect is definitely unique. I'd like to try the Ennerdale Flake and SG Grousemoor.

cramptholomew":q8esum9q said:
DrT999":q8esum9q said:
you can always try the various GH Lakelands.
I got some Bosun Cut Plug to try a lakeland style. I was blown back by the floral topping! The lakeland effect is definitely unique. I'd like to try the Ennerdale Flake and SG Grousemoor.
Probably Ennerdale and #7 Broken Flake are the two best intros to GH Lakelands. Grasmere is a bit less scented (although just with Rose/Geranium) with a bit higher N than those or Bosun.

+1 for Rattray's Exotic Orange.  Probably the most unique blend I've tried in years.  I never thought I would appreciate an orange-flavored pipe tobacco, but every time I fire up a bowl of this blend I think to myself, "Wow, this stuff is incredible!".
A blend I personally find really unique and probably the most complex blend I have in my humble cellar is Peretti's Cuban Mixture.

Seems the Exotic Orange is almost as elusive as the Tambolaka! I *could* order it from Denmark, but...