Unusual Peterson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I've had this estate Peterson billiard for quite a few years. It has a screw-mount tenon.  I've never seen another Peterson with one, so whataya think: factory, nicely done repair, or....?

N1QO1DXl.jpg

Never seen a Pete with a screw mount like that either, but then almost all my Pete’s are army mounts.

Tim

Never saw a screw on Peterson before. It does look kind of interesting though. Does the stem line up properly when screwed on? I would worry that the threads didn't line up properly.

I’ve seen a number of non-Pete screw-on stems that allowed adjustment of the amount of “turn” so a proper fitment could always be obtained. Hopefully this one is exactly on or has some adjustment feature.

BTW: Darn nice cross grain. Peterson does some of the finest cross grain bowls of anyone.

The tenon is not fixed in the stem so no problems with line up. I have a couple old Jobeys that were made with this type of tenon, but on those the threaded end was in the stem. You could buy the just the tenon links separately if you had a snapped tenon. I always thought it was pretty neat idea.

I was googling 'Peterson screw-in stems' and found your forum and this thread...so hopefully this is the beginning of a long and fun relationship.

I recently picked up a 1911 Peterson on ebay - it has a reddish-brown tenon that the stem screws on to.  I can't find any evidence that Peterson ever did non-push stems - it wouldn't make sense, as such a stem would make it impossible to get the tenon past the trap to make the 'system' work. But I would love to hear the opinions of others.

I acquired the pipe because the seller described it as almost 7" long, which would have made it a great candidate for an amber stem I was going to try to match up with it.  But it turned out to be a little over 3.5", so not useful for my plans.

I can't post a picture here for another seven days, but if anyone is interested in images, it's a recently-ended ebay auction for a 'peterson patent nosewarmer'.