Update on the revised March 2015 experiment

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
OK.....

So, here's the latest skinny on the Maduro leaf experiment.

Even though the first attempt wasn't all bad, I thought a bit more smokiness would be nice. Like I had mentioned before, adding Latakia was my easiest fix, but I wanted to stay with materials indicative of North America, and as Latakia is more, well, indicative of the Mediterranean region, I would want to lean away from that leaf for this blend.

So, another certain percentage of Kentucky was in order, yes? It's smoky, right?

Well, where Latakia is virtually void of nicotine, Dark Fired KY is hot with it. Sooo, this blend was going to get stout(er). OK....

So for three days the new mix was pressed. Used the same procedure as the last test, added water, a warming, then pressure. Every day walked past it and stared for a moment. Today it was pulled... Looks the same as the first batch. Smelled a bit smokier, but not much. Loaded a bowl, had my coffee, then water, as before. Nice brisk sunrise morning, clear skies, birds.....

Took the first light well, no relights required. The flavor had noticeably changed from BBQ chips to full blown brisket. Full, meaty smoke, great volume, the sweet tang of the Virginia Cavendish really came out with more clarity this time, and the musty Maduro became more of a, well, crap I really don't know how to put it. Malt maybe? I dunno. I've had about 4 small bowls of it today so far. I've had a bowl of my Lonesome Llama, (Dubbed so by DrumsAndBeer), some Devil's Holiday, my Daily Grind and others, between those samples. I keep getting the same impression, like I'm taking a bite of a prime rib steak cooked on the grill..

There is definitely some nicotine in this, but it doesn't feel the same as the Perique does. Is there a difference, or is N just N?

Sounds good, but too strong for me.

I'd guess nicotine is nicotine, as it's just a chemical compound.

DireWolf":thwybk1j said:

Well, one can snack your way through the day,
(which may be healthier)
or have a big fatty meal and get on with your day...

If (when) I need to fly, this would be a great fix to get me through an eight hour flight without twitching, provided I could uncross my eyes enough to find the right gate..........

Ozark Wizard":ocjhfevx said:
DireWolf":ocjhfevx said:

Well, one can snack your way through the day,
(which may be healthier)
or have a big fatty meal and get on with your day...

If (when) I need to fly, this would be a great fix to get me through an eight hour flight without twitching, provided I could uncross my eyes enough to find the right gate..........
The nic thing notwithstanding, it sounds like a helluva great experiment to me Ozzie. I for one enjoy reading about your forays into this.

While I most likely won't follow suit (too damn lazy) it does provide insight into the art of pressing. Good on you for that.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR