Upper tier production pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
I'll pose the question first: among the large production brands that offer a premium line, which brands and product lines have you been happy with? I'm especially interested in comments from owners of top Vauen or Savinelli products, but welcome all feedback. My budget cap is $200, so that puts pipes at 230-250 within reach when on sale.

My understanding is that production brands reserve their best quality briar for their top-tier lines, and though machine carved, they often have finishing touches and inspection performed by the most experienced workers.

Looking at my own collection it seems that upper level production pipes provide the quality I'm after without making the jump to more costly artisan pipes or collectible estates. Based on how happy I've been with my two 'high-end' Design Berlin pipes,I wonder how a German-made Vauen would compare, or some of Savinelli's top lines like Punto Oro or the Onda series. The middle-tier Savinelli Tortuga I bought is worth keeping, but I just can't find any blend that shines in the Roma Lucite. All three Petersons I've bought have been disappointing, I guess these would be their lower-end products (Dalkey, Derry, and Dublin) while the Darwin is probably considered middle-tier, and that one is worth keeping. But I've never tried Peterson's top tier offerings.

Anybody experienced to comment on how much bother it is to try and get rid of underperformers on eBay? Maybe just shipping them off to Smoking Pipes for trade-in value is the better option?

Thanks for any insights you care to share.

Most of my collection consists of peterson, they all smoke just fine for me but I don't have any of their high end pipes. The most "high end" I have is their Newgrange Spigot, which I would guess is more middle tier. I really do need to expand my collection lol

D.L.Ruth":8tozibl7 said:
Most of my collection consists of peterson, they all smoke just fine for me but I don't have any of their high end pipes. The most "high end" I have is their Newgrange Spigot, which I would guess is more middle tier. I really do need to expand my collection lol
That Newgrange XL11 sure is a handsome specimen. That would be a keeper in anybody's collection! :lol:

I have a Savinelli 114 Punto Oro that I bought used. It smokes OK, but no better than my old Savinelli 114 Rock Briar that I’ve had for 40 years. I might suggest you check out the Radice pipes at https://www.alpascia.com/. Radice pipes are great smokers and can be found in your price range. I have a couple of their Rind billiards that are excellent pipes in every respect.

kxg":gv7yxxkb said:
I have a Savinelli 114 Punto Oro that I bought used. It smokes OK, but no better than my old Savinelli 114 Rock Briar that I’ve had for 40 years.  I might suggest you check out the Radice pipes at https://www.alpascia.com/.  Radice pipes are great smokers and can be found in your price range.  I have a couple of their Rind billiards that are excellent pipes in every respect.
Appreciate the good information. I've crossed Punto Oro off my short list. I checked out the website and found a Radice I like in my price range but I'm gun shy because of a previous bad experience shipping something from Italy. Last time I was in Tuscany I bought two ceramic serving bowls and when they arrived at Dulles they were pulled by Customs and I not only had to pay 20% customs on the value, but a processing fee, and a fine for not filing properly.  All in all, $286 for two serving bowls! I don't want to have to go through that again!  :x

Have you had any such problems? Anybody else have experience with ordering pipes out of country? I also looked at Esterval's Pipe House in Germany and they have some nice product, but their minimum shipping fee is over $50.00   :shock: We have really gotten spoiled by the free shipping here in the U.S.

My Radice’s were shipped as one package directly from Radice in a POY buy last year. There were no issues with shipping, in fact, it was incredibly fast, two days, if I remember, from far northern Italy to S.W. Kansas.
I’ve never ordered from Al Pascia, but his reputation is outstanding.