Used Lamb Skin Pipe Pouch odor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I was able to get this gorgeous lamb skin two-pipe and tobacco pouch at a local B&M. Not sure if the previous owner used some tobacco that left an odor, but the smell coming from the pouch is not akin to anything I smoke. I love the look and feel of the thing, but I need to do something about the smell. I went as far as placing my fresh baccy in a plastic bag and placing it inside of the built-in pouch, but the smell is still there.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Martin

I can't imagine anything that would work. De-ghosting a pipe is hard enough. Maybe ozone? But I'm thinking that would play hell with the lining. Wonder if you could gently wash and dry it? Or pack it with baking soda for a couple of weeks? Good luck. Nothing more annoying than someone else's scent. Unless it's female human, of course.

[Later] Just thought of something. How about activated (freshly broken up) charcoal? Bury it in charcoal and put it in a box for a month. Couldn't hurt, I'm thinkin'. Then you could load it up with tabak, slip it into a nice tan sportcoat, and then wonder how to get the black stains off the coat. You're welcome.

It's probably been steeping in cigar smoke for years. I brought home some giveaway magazines from a shop once that stunk to high heaven. I'd call Walker Briar Works and see if he can put it his ozone chamber or if that would mess up the rubber and leather, if it is leather. Most pipe luggage is at best bonded "leather" outside and vinyl leatherette inside. :shock:

Thanks for the replies. I will see if the smell will diminish over time, but it's pretty off-putting and none of my other pipe pouches have ever smelled like that. The suggestion that it's cigar related is interesting as the B&M sees a lot of cigar smokers.

Martin, take your used coffe grounds and dry them out put them into some kind of cloth bag and stuff it into the tobacco pouch. Leave it sit as long as you can. You can speed up the process but putting the bag somewhere that gets pretty hot. Like on the dash of the car. Wrap it in something though so you don’t sun bleach it. The coffe works like activated charcoal and sucks up the odors. It works great I used it on a fridge that someone left rotting shrimp and chicken in. It removed most of the smell in 2 Days. By the end of the week you wouldn’t know Food had decomposed in there. Feel free to keep adding fresh dried out used grounds until the pouch is completely full. I suppose you could use fresh but I think the oils in the beans interferes with the odor absorption. Fresh grounds might also contaminate the bag with coffe smell. Hopefully this helps.

Jim

Hufflepuff - thanks. I was pondering the idea of coffee grounds because I've used that in my car before. I'm glad you say I should use "used grounds." I didn't think about the oils in the coffee beans. LOL

Thanks,
Martin

Coffee grounds would never have occurred to me, but it sounds reasonable. I always get a kick out of the useful "life hacks" you find browsing the posts on BoB! I hope we can get an update to see if this works on the pouch. Best of luck!

I will update you once I try it. This weekend might be a good time for me to do that. I need so save and dry some coffee grounds first. :)