Using Oxyclean for Oxidized Stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
Read a really great article on pipesmagazine.com recently about restoring oxidized pipe stems without using a buffing wheel or power tools. The first step discussed in the article involves soaking the oxidized stems in a solution of warm water and Oxyclean for 15 min to an hour depending on the severity of the oxidation.

My question is.....would Oxyclean take off or damage logos on the stems? I have several GBD's and Charatan pipes that I am considering trying to clean up using the techniques described in the article, but wanted to proceed with caution. Anyone have experience with Oxyclean? I'd appreciate any advice...

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. For anyone interested, here's a link to the article:

http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/

Keep stuff like that away from the shank ends with nomenclature. They aren't usually where the problem is anyway. Magic eraser or &c. with water.

:face:

I know you can cover logos with Vaseline if using bleach to remove the oxidation, not sure if this would work with oxyclean or not.

flytyer":m4q0u1qm said:
I know you can cover logos with Vaseline if using bleach to remove the oxidation, not sure if this would work with oxyclean or not.
+1 for that tip.
I've seen a friend use thin strips of blue painter's tape. Works for him.......

Probably too late to chime in, but here it goes anyway.

A tiny dab of vaseline on the logo. Soak in unscented bleach.

Does the trick flawlessly every time.