VA Doctors.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbinedave

Reaction score
I had a regular appt. with one of my docs today. I told him I quit the coffin nails about a month ago. I then told him I was still smoking my pipes and cigars. This was not a good thing. He damn near ripped me a new one. Not once did he say good job on quitting the cigs. Kinda makes ya wonder!

Let me be the first one then...congratulations on breaking the habit.

Pipes and cigars are just fine, thank you.  Tell him to kiss a good one.

Yes congratulations, I don't know why he made a fuss about the pipe unless your inhaling the smoke, when I first read your thread title I stupidly read it as VA doctors = Virginia Doctors....

Unless the Doc smokes cigars or a pipe, of course he's going to go all tobacco nazi on you. That's what they do.

My Doc and I have an understanding - when he asks me about tobacco use I politely tell him I don't smoke cigarettes, and that's what he can write down. If he asks me about using any other tobacco product I repeat what I just told him. He just smiles.

He once told me that there is a Doctor/patient confidentiality law that prevents personal information being reported to outside sources, and I've received documents stating such.

I told him that may be true now but at some point sooner or later the health insurance companies will find a way to access these records, and I consider this private information and thus my own business. He seems to be OK with this arrangement.

Cheers,

RR

herbinedave":mnhgv6a6 said:
I had a regular appt. with one of my docs today.  I told him I quit the coffin nails about a month ago.  I then told him I was still smoking my pipes and cigars.  This was not a good thing.  He damn near ripped me a new one.  Not once did he say good job on quitting the cigs.  Kinda makes ya wonder!
Hey, You can tell your VA Doc for me I said "Bite Me!"
I know how hard it can be quitting the cigarettes and you my friend deserve a Big Congratulations! :cheers: :cheers: 

Dave , WTG on dropping cigarettes. It's one of the toughest things ever.

Many long-time cigarette smokers who've been puffing on coffin nails for -- (how time flies!) -- decades of one, two, or three packs per day have already done the damage, so COPD -- whether Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, acerbated Bronchial Asthma, or the like, while it's certainly proven good to quit smoking cigarettes, yet continuing to smoke pipes &/or cigars, certainly won't resolve the problem or return one to optimum pulmonary health.

That said, having been there and done that, dropping cigarettes, even when continuing to smoke pipes &/or cigars and not inhaling, does (at least for me) has helped things along.

But that won't make COPD go away. Me? Sure, I "fight" with my primary care physician, but of course she's right and I've cut back. A lot. Cigarettes at zero since 2006. Then a bowl or two, on average, of pipe tobacco per day; skipping a day not uncommon. Cigars? Down to one a week.

Funny how it's worked out. For me, less is more -- rather, I appreciate what I do smoke a lot more.

Oh BRAVO on kicking the sticks, more delicious pipe enjoyment coming your way then, that is marvellous, well done that man.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Congrats!!
Last coffin nail 6 months, 3 weeks ago!

One of my biggest motivators is the cost of cigarettes in Massachusetts. They average between $9.00 and $10.00 for a pack of Marlboros. In the grand scheme of things that is a helluva lotta money over a year!

rothnh":chgl6qzq said:
Dave , WTG on dropping cigarettes.  It's one of the toughest things ever.

Many long-time cigarette smokers who've been puffing on coffin nails for -- (how time flies!) -- decades of one, two, or three packs per day have already done the damage, so COPD -- whether Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, acerbated Bronchial Asthma, or the like, while it's certainly proven good to quit smoking cigarettes, yet continuing to smoke pipes &/or cigars, certainly won't resolve the problem or return one to optimum pulmonary health.

That said, having been there and done that, dropping cigarettes, even when continuing to smoke pipes &/or cigars and not inhaling, does (at least for me) has helped things along.

But that won't make COPD go away.  Me?  Sure, I "fight" with my primary care physician, but of course she's right and I've cut back.  A lot.  Cigarettes at zero since 2006.  Then a bowl or two, on average, of pipe tobacco per day; skipping a day not uncommon.  Cigars?  Down to one a week.  

Funny how it's worked out. For me, less is more -- rather, I appreciate what I do smoke a lot more.
THIS and you're STILL ingesting nicotine into your sytem just not from inhaling and nicotine in ANY form is not good !! Sad but true and we need to be truethfull with ourselves  :twisted:   :twisted:

monbla256":z9ze32c2 said:
THIS and you're STILL ingesting nicotine into your sytem just not from inhaling and nicotine in ANY form is not good !! Sad but true and we need to be truethfull with ourselves  :twisted:   :twisted:
I agree that too much of any chemical compound is probably going to be deleterious to one's health, but what is that amount for nicotine? Is there an amount that is beneficial?

We have research showing us that a drink or two a day is OK, and may even be beneficial. We also know that too much alcohol results in poor decision making and even death. We now properly placed amounts of caffeine can improve athletic performance, but too much does nothing but make you sick.

Everything is poisonous, but the dose is what's important.

Has there been research showing a beneficial amount of nicotine, then crossing over into a poisonous dose?

(I guess I'm leaving addiction aside. Any amount can create a tolerance and eventually an addiction I suppose, but I'm not bringing that into the discussion here).