Vacuum Sealed Bag Or Mason Jar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
If you have some tobacco that came in a vacuum sealed bag, should you keep it in there or transfer it to a mason jar?

I asked something similar to that in this thread. Maybe you can find your answer in there. https://www.brothersofbriar.com/the-tobacco-jar-f2/how-long-before-jarring-t3301.htm

Any/all tobacco I have stored goes immediately into a metal (NOT plastic) lid glass jar for proper storage.

I say metal lid since many food jars can be recycled into tobacco storage with a good washing and
sunlight sterilaztion to kill all bacteria/fungi.

Once stored in glass they can be kept in a dark cool place for very long periods of time.

I have tried the vacuum seal route twice several years ago. IMHO the blend (especially Virginia's) did not seem to age as well as the blends that I sealed in mason jars. The vacuum sealed blends seemed to just freeze in time. The only un-scientific explanation that I have is that in the mason jars a little air is still in the jars and it allows the aging process to take place a little better. Your mileage may vary.

free_byrd15":6dsqf9fy said:
If you have some tobacco that came in a vacuum sealed bag, should you keep it in there or transfer it to a mason jar?
It really depends on the bag. If it's a heat-sealed, multi-layer, high-barrier foil bag, it'll be fine for years. If it's see-through, it's all but useless for aging. It'll keep the moisture in, but these plastics are semi-permeable to gasses and non-polar molecules that are responsible for the goodness of aged weeds.

After a lot of experimentation, with corroborating evidence from a friend whose results paralleled my own, I'm absolutely convinced that glass jars (metal lids - NOT plastic) and sealed tins are the only long-term storage methods worth considering. The sooner you get it into the jars, the better, to my mind.

There's a little ore about this subject here.

-glp

Buster":25qdgqnq said:
how about bale top jars?
I aged about a 1/2 lb. of Old Gowrie in an antique porcelain bale top jar for approximately 8 years and it did very well.

Buster":1mst1xwh said:
how about bale top jars?
As long as the seals are in good condition, they're fantastic. If you re-use them, and the seals are questionable, buy new ones. They dry out and become brittle after many years.

-glp

glpease":67036s9y said:
Buster":67036s9y said:
how about bale top jars?
As long as the seals are in good condition, they're fantastic. If you re-use them, and the seals are questionable, buy new ones. They dry out and become brittle after many years.

-glp
That's probably true for mason jar lids too, you should probably replace them after breaking the seal after a few years. My mom always canned food with them and she would throw them out after each season once the seal has been broken, of course with canning there is the heating etc... but given that they are relatively cheap why take a chance. Of course you can keep using the threaded ring. I find it amazing that just a few months ago, I stored some tobacco in small mason 'jelly' jars to get it out of the plastic baggies and when I opened it recently I had to use some force to get it to pop open. The tobacco aging process creates it's own vacuum.

I'm not sure if this really belongs here. I did a search, and considered starting a new thread, but...well...

I am wondering about, Mason jar-ing already aged tobacco in larger quantities. Say, if I have an 8oz bag of 9 year old English blend, and I open it for the first time, and then split it up into mason jars will they:

A) freeze where they are in the aging process, and just remain "preserved" at their current stage in their new jars, staying good smokes as long as they are kept this way?

B) Keep aging as they were?

C) Have changed to their new "aged" state, and start a whole new aging process of THAT state?

D) Start to decline steadily?

E)........?

My vote/opinion would be "C". The reason being is that you have changed the aging medium (I hope that is the correct term) when transfering to the mason jars. I have done this with several different blends with no problems.

I transfer from bags to ball/mason jars immediately, unless I intend to smoke the tobacco in reasonable time. After I open an aged jar, I'll simply replace the old top with a fresh one to insure a good seal. Never had any problems. :santa: :rendeer:

No clear plastic baggies!!!! Take a whiff near the bag....Smell the tobacco??? That's what Mr. GLP is talking about! If you can smell it, it ain't sealed and aging! Merry Christmas :santa: FTRPLT

ftrplt":l15on3o1 said:
No clear plastic baggies!!!! Take a whiff near the bag....Smell the tobacco??? That's what Mr. GLP is talking about! If you can smell it, it ain't sealed and aging! Merry Christmas :santa: FTRPLT
Amen.

When I say bag, I mean, e.g. an 8oz bag of Esoterica Penzance as it came from the manufacturer.

Or...an 8oz Odyssey...even better.

Or...any tin for that matter.

Once you open, for the first time, a well-aged blend-can you AT LEAST preserve it in that state in mason jars, or will it degrade IN THE MASON JARS no matter what you do. This is my real question.

Mason jars, with new lids when re-sealing. So cheap and so effective - it is really a no-brainer.

Kapnismologist":n3c8dmr8 said:
Mason jars, with new lids when re-sealing. So cheap and so effective - it is really a no-brainer.
As opposed to leaving in in the bags, as the Original post asks, or is this in reference to my post?

Grocer/hardware store/WalMart usually has packs of new lids nearby the Mason jars. You can also buy them with the rings, if your old ones got dented or what-have-you.