Value tobaccos..??? are they really for pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowalkintexan

Reaction score
I have heard several times, that the ‘value’ tobacco’s are actually intended for rolling cigarettes. that they are sold as pipe tobaccos to get around government rules. Is this true? I’m talking ‘Smoker’s Pride’,,, and similar named tobaccos,,, even Granger, and some of the old time ‘lower prices’ brands.

I don't' know about any of them except SuperValue English Mixture. It is definitely a good pipe smoking tobacco.

Most all the early/codger/drugstore blends could be used for both pipe and cigarette. I remember when rolling papers were included in Half & Half, PA, Bull Durham, George Washington, etc. FTRPLT

I would say most of them are for/cut for the roll your own cigarette market to get around the rules. I know I made my wife start rolling her own. I was buying a one pound bag of "mild/mellow pipe tobacco" for around $18. I'm sure there are some of those value "blends" make good every day pipe tobacco.

Daughters and Ryan, for quite some time, primarily produced tobacco for RYO cigarettes. As government rulings changed, making tobacco specific to RYO taxed heavily, the company transitioned its packaging to read "pipe tobacco." They've since also gone extensively into pipe tobacco, but also still cut some "pipe tobacco" as shag for RYO.

I don't know about any of them except SuperValue English Mixture. It is definitely a good pipe smoking tobacco.
The interesting thing about Super Value English Mixture (A Sutliff tobacco) is that most Sutliff English bulk blends are less costly. Super Value English Mixture is slightly less than $2.60 oz., while Sutliff Balkan, Balkan II, Heavy English and others are $2.30 oz.

The interesting thing about Super Value English Mixture (A Sutliff tobacco) is that most Sutliff English bulk blends are less costly. Super Value English Mixture is slightly less than $2.60 oz., while Sutliff Balkan, Balkan II, Heavy English and others are $2.30 oz.
And, as far as I know, the English Mixture cannot be purchased in bulk, only in a pouch. Curious.

And, as far as I know, the English Mixture cannot be purchased in bulk, only in a pouch. Curious.
1.5 oz/pouch makes three packs of cigarettes.
People commonly ask, “Well how many cigarettes can you make out of each size bag?” The simple answer: You can expect to yield about 40 cigarettes per one ounce of tobacco. A 16 ounce or 1-pound bag would yield 600 cigarettes or 3 cartons!

Daughters and Ryan, for quite some time, primarily produced tobacco for RYO cigarettes. As government rulings changed, making tobacco specific to RYO taxed heavily, the company transitioned its packaging to read "pipe tobacco." They've since also gone extensively into pipe tobacco, but also still cut some "pipe tobacco" as shag for RYO.
And they make some darn tasty tobaccos. Picayune is a favorite, and I can't imagine smoking a cigarette of it, though it is an old cigarette blend. It a cob in particular, it is sublime.

There was a period in my life when pipe tobacco funds were limited, and the 'Smoker's Pride' and similar tobaccos got me through just fine. Not high-end blends by any means, but actually not bad in a pipe either.

Last edited:
Few months ago I got on a codger kick. PA, CH, SWR, etc. And at $3.35 a pouch from my local store, not a bad bargain. But I can buy at least 10 sutliff bulks I like for under $2 an oz. However, still enjoy trying new stuff if is isn't ridiculously priced.