variations on Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter1127

Reaction score
For all Sherlock fans, just finished Laurie King's " The Language of Bees", latest in series of Mary Russell mysteries. All are higly recommended. Half way thru Caleb Carr's " The Italian Secretary"another take on Holmes Mystique.

I've read all of her Mary Russell stories except Language of the Bees.

Will have to look for it.

hunter1127":u9lnjob8 said:
For all Sherlock fans, just finished Laurie King's " The Language of Bees", latest in series of Mary Russell mysteries. All are higly recommended. Half way thru Caleb Carr's " The Italian Secretary"another take on Holmes Mystique.
Let us know what you think of Caleb Carr's book. I had a little trouble picturing the scenes in my mind. I really liked The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness however.

Also in that line of writing you might try The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox.

Falconer":17wsiurs said:
Let us know what you think of Caleb Carr's book. I had a little trouble picturing the scenes in my mind. I really liked The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness however.

i'm a big fan of caleb carr. didn't know he did a holmes. will have to check it out! :afro: fo sho! :afro:

(that's "certainly i will" in white people talk.)

bruins":m0z2q6fe said:
Falconer":m0z2q6fe said:

i'm a big fan of caleb carr. didn't know he did a holmes. will have to check it out! :afro: fo sho! :afro:

(that's "certainly i will" in white people talk.)
No, white people say "I certainly will". Bruins Ruins everything, but he's still my Holmey! :study:

518YK1A3Y9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
$4.99 on ebay (free shipping) :cheers:
<table class=vi-is1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><tr><td colSpan=4>
The Italian Secretary, Caleb Carr, Good Book
charityIcon_16x16.gif" style="width: 16;height: 16

</td></tr><tr><td height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr>Item condition:<td class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>Good</td></tr><tr><td height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr><td class=vi-is1-solid height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr>Price:<td class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tbll">US $4.99</td><td class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tblb" colSpan=2>Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now
</td></tr><tr><td class=vi-is1-solid height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr id=watchItemMiddleRow><td class=vi-is1-solid></td><td id=watchLabelDiv class=vi-is1-solid></td><td class="vi-is1-solid vi-is1-tblb" colSpan=2>Add to Watch list</a>
<a href="https://www.brothersofbriar.com/javascript:;">Start of panel

Add to a new list
End of panel

</td></tr><tr><td class=vi-is1-solid></td><td class=vi-is1-solid colSpan=3>
</td></tr><tr><td class=vi-is1-solid height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr id=v4-27><td colSpan=4>
<TABLE>

<TR>
<td>
imgBucks_35x13.gif" style="width: 35;height: 13
</TD>
<td>Join eBay Bucks and earn 2% back on this item. See conditionsfor eBay Bucks - opens in a new window or tab</TD></TR></TABLE>

</td></tr><tr>Shipping:<td class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>FREE shipping Standard Shipping See more services See shipping discounts | See all shipping details Estimated delivery within 3-7 business days.
</td></tr><tr><td height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr>Returns:<td class=vi-is1-clr colSpan=3>
<TABLE id=miyId border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">

<TR>
<td class=vi-rpd-miyContent>7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read return policy details</TD></TR></TABLE>
</td></tr><tr><td height=10 colSpan=4></td></tr><tr><td colSpan=4>
logoeBP_65x74.gif" style="width: 65;height: 74

imgeBPText_232x22.gif" style="width: 232;height: 22
imgeBPSText_312x14.gif" style="width: 312;height: 14

Learn moreabout eBay Buyer Protection - opens in a new window or tab

</td></tr></table>

Falconer said:
bruins":ckdeo7il said:
No, white people say "I certainly will". Bruins Ruins everything, but he's still my Holmey! :study:
i was just looking for a reason to use fat albert's side kick, yo. still waiting for the proper time to use this guy: :flower: but now is not that time... (i wish falconer rhymed with something :scratch: besides maybe a fella who mixes chemicals. you know, an alchemer.)

bruins said:
Falconer":0xis01wn said:
bruins":0xis01wn said:
i was just looking for a reason to use fat albert's side kick, yo. still waiting for the proper time to use this guy: :flower: but now is not that time... (i wish falconer rhymed with something :scratch: besides maybe a fella who mixes chemicals. you know, an alchemer.)
That was elementary my dear Yutzson. but your mind is a brew'n Bruins!

I have never read a non-cannonical Holmes Story, always been afraid they will not live up to the name and I would be disappointed but if you gentlemen say it is worth a read I will have to get it I think.

St Fiacre":pnyicvjz said:
I have never read a non-cannonical Holmes Story, always been afraid they will not live up to the name and I would be disappointed but if you gentlemen say it is worth a read I will have to get it I think.
I'll say this..it isn't Sir Arthur Conan Doyle but it is Sherlock Holmes. Does that make sense? Many have captured Holmes' social facade and trubute to clever deduction but not his persona. I think that's because Doyle was living it in his mind and as a doctor was able to give another perspective that some others come short of.
That's Just my opinion. I read a book titled "The rivals of Shelock Holmes" back in 1979 and struggled with it. Most of these stories were written between the time Holmes was written of as dead and his return in the Hound of the Baskervilles. The Strand tried to fill the gap Doyle left for about 7 years. Today I think the same way even though there are some new innovations by new authors. I can't help feeling they are trying to fill in for Doyle.

Valky

Falconer":j00hye39 said:
St Fiacre":j00hye39 said:
I'll say this..it isn't Sir Arthur Conan Doyle but it is Sherlock Holmes. Does that make sense? Many have captured Holmes' social facade and trubute to clever deduction but not his persona. I think that's because Doyle was living it in his mind and as a doctor was able to give another perspective that some others come short of.
That's Just my opinion. I read a book titled "The rivals of Shelock Holmes" back in 1979 and struggled with it. Most of these stories were written between the time Holmes was written of as dead and his return in the Hound of the Baskervilles. The Strand tried to fill the gap Doyle left for about 7 years. Today I think the same way even though there are some new innovations by new authors. I can't help feeling they are trying to fill in for Doyle.

Valky
That is what I was afraid of actually. I do not know how someone could try to fill the shoes of a legend like Sir Conan Doyle, seems like it would be pretty intimidating but If it is a fair read it would be worth it to get more Holmes I think. :)

I am having a great time reading the Laurie King stories. She set things up well with the premise that Watson published the canon thru Doyle. Thus she can present Holmes in a slightly different light than in the canon.

I'll try the Carr stories next.

Thanks for the leads.

Fazby":bdwihn73 said:
I am having a great time reading the Laurie King stories. She set things up well with the premise that Watson published the canon thru Doyle. Thus she can present Holmes in a slightly different light than in the canon.

I'll try the Carr stories next.

Thanks for the leads.
yeah, i thought the king's were a strong series...