Various Virginias, ala Greg

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
From Greg's most recent Q'n'A...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-pease/ask-g-l-pease-january-2013-volume-21/

Luigi asked and":5ne6ndtg said:
Hi there Greg, I would like to ask which factor determines the different grades of Virginia flue-cured leaves (lemon, bright, orange, red, etc). Is it the result of a longer exposure to heat, or does it depends on more aging time, or is some other process involved?
Mr Pease":5ne6ndtg said:
A: Luigi, your question is simple on the surface, but the answer runs quite deep. I’ll do my best to summarize.

The color grade of various bright leaf, when harvested, is dependent upon a number of factors, including stalk location, growing region and conditions, maturity at harvest, the seed stock used, and so on. Leaf can range in hue from bright yellowish, to orange, to red to green. The higher the stalk position, the better the leaf, generally, and nearly all of what we will find in our pipe tobaccos is from the mid-position of the stalk and above. Different growing regions tend to produce leaf of distinct characteristics, much in the same way that terroir is reflected in different wine grapes form the same varietal.

Younger, tender leaves at the top of the stalk are generally the sweetest, most aromatic and mildest, while the mid-stalk leaves generally have a lighter taste, but a bit more sharpness, and they can add character and depth to the smoke. Interestingly, though it’s commonly believed that red virginias have higher sugar content than yellows, the reverse is often the case; sugar content, which can range from 10% or lower to over 20%, cannot be reliably predicted from leaf color alone, and neither can nicotine content, though generally speaking, darker leaf tends to be stronger.

When the leaf is picked, it’s still alive, and its biochemical processes continue; as long as moisture and nutrients are available, the leaf’s cells will continue their metabolic activity. This is where curing comes into play. By drying the tobacco quickly in flue-heated barns, a process that takes only a few days (unlike the 5-6 weeks for burleys), the leaf is effectively killed, setting the sugar and the color. But, the process does not end there. Freshly cured tobacco tends to be harsh and acrid, and has not yet developed its full flavor. Before it can be used, it must be aged in bulk for up to three years under controlled conditions, during which time it will mellow and further develop. During this process, some darkening can take place, so the final shade can be quite different from that of the original cured tobacco.

Once aged, the tobacco is ready to be processed for use. It can be conditioned (brought up to the proper moisture level for handling) and cut, ready to be blended, or it can be pressed and further aged in cakes, where it will continue to ferment, resulting in a much darker product. In fact, one well known “red virginia” begins life as a bright golden leaf; it’s the caking and aging that gives it its red hue.

Something similar is true of teas. Green teas, oolongs and black teas differ primarily in the way the leaf is processed after harvesting. Darkening is a product of enzymatic oxidation. In the case of green teas, and especially the so-called “white” teas, the leaf is heated to inactivate the enzymes that cause the fermentation to take place—basically the equivalent of flue-curing. Darker teas are allowed to oxidize longer until the desired characteristics are achieved.

So, when a manufacturer talks about the various shades of leaf being used, it may or may not be reflected in the appearance of the finished product, and when the end user discusses the color of a virginia, it may or may not have anything to do with its original hue. Confusing, innit?
Just wanted that out there for anyone wondering. I know that cleared up a few things for me. :D

8)

Brewdude":gi5xr12y said:
Great info! Thanks Mr. Pease.

And Kyle for posting it.

8)

Cheers,

RR
And to Luigi (me)... no thanks for the question?

I'm kidding :D

brando71":bhfjxxgs said:
Brewdude":bhfjxxgs said:

And Kyle for posting it.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Great question Luigi!

:cheers:

Slide":r9qdaigc said:
brando71":r9qdaigc said:
Brewdude":r9qdaigc said:

And Kyle for posting it.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Great question Luigi!

:cheers:
So you're Luigi? Well give credit where credit is due then!

:king:

Cheers,

RR

It was a great question, for sure, because it needed to be answered!