VELVET

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember dang near all of them!! Sold'em all in the B&M I worked in while in college. I don't remember how many different blends (tins and pouches) we carried. I do remember the order sheets were large and detailed! I had to fill one out every week for next week delivery! Plus all the cigars, high end cigarettes (Players, Pall Mall, etc.), and accessories we kept in stock!! Ahhh, the good ol' days!! FTRPLT

I particularly liked London Dock. Tried the D&R match. Not the same at all.
Ranger, just between you, me, and the fence post; I haven't found too many of the "match" blends to be much of a match!! Some are not bad tobacco's on their own, just not much "match" factor to them as far as I'm concerned!! I will admit my taste buds are ancient as am I!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

SWR, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Mixture 79, Half & Half yes. Granger, Velvet, any Borkum Riffs no thanks. To each his own, however.
Borkum Riff "Original" is a very nice smoke. The others in the series are horrible. The tongue bite is atrocious. I bought a pouch of the original probably two years ago and the way I preped it , the tobacco smoked cool and dry. The taste was very good as well as the room note. The trick is too rub it out very well and let it dry.

Borkum Riff "Original" is a very nice smoke. The others in the series are horrible. The tongue bite is atrocious. I bought a pouch of the original probably two years ago and the way I preped it , the tobacco smoked cool and dry. The taste was very good as well as the room note. The trick is too rub it out very well and let it dry.
Well yeah, I guess that kind of hits my sentiments too. The Original I gave like 2.5 Pipe rating @ okay but not stellar. The rest I do not care for.

I've tried CH now but not Velvet. Thinking of buying some old vintage unopened tins of Liggett and Pinkerton on that one. PA seems to be a standby as it's so reliable. Sutliff ready rubbed match is good but dang hard to dry. I keep coming back to Granger too, because of the taste, cut, and it wasn't a Ryo like other ones including PA. Never had H&H and yet to open my new pouch of SWR regular. I also go by flavorings, as I usually like the blends with the least. I
even like the raw tobacco grown around here. The dark air cured is great to punch up PA for a bit of cigar taste. I'm looking forward to trying some Amphora burley blend. Too bad it's not cheap like the Amphora original you can get at Krogers stores.

Last edited:
I tried Prince Albert recently because my Great Grandfather smoked it. It's not the same as the original back in the day, can't be. It's got such a chemical taste to it it's almost like a cigarette. Smoke and smell lingers forever indoors. A couple hours later you can still smell it.

Terrible.
PA is now made in the DR. It's not the same as the USA old version. I think that cig note reflects the Ryo aspect.

PA is now made in the DR. It's not the same as the USA old version. I think that cig note reflects the Ryo aspect.
True, but there was always a light cigarette note toward the finish of the old PA if you puffed fast because the toppings weakened. But, it is true that the DR PA is not the same as it had been for over 100 years. I know because smoked PA from every decade from the 1920s until now, and it always tasted the same. The same for CH (1950s until it was made in the DR), and SWR (1940s until a couple of years ago). I haven't tried the new version of SWR that is made overseas, so I don't know if it has been changed.

SWR (regular and aromatic), Paladin, and Velvet didn't it do it for me, which is weird because I fell in love with Half-Half the first time I opened the pouch. Maybe I would be saying the same thing about Velvet or, god forbid, Paladin if I had tried those first instead. I mix Half-Half with Sutliff Virginia slices (1:1 or 1:2 Sutliff) and it is everything I want in a light Virginia codger blend lol.