Vermont Freehand pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Anyone own, and care to share their opinion, on Vermont Freehand pipes? Specifically, I was looking at the bent poker, aka the cherrywood, and the Norsedog. I feel the Norsedog is a great shape, but I was wondering how thick the walls are down near the shank. From pictures, it looks like it could get on the thin side as it approaches the bottom of the bowl.

*The proprietary write-ups sound fantastic and make the pipes seem like great value. I'm looking for smoker feedback. Thanks a lot.

I've been wondering about these myself, specifically same as you Zeno - the poker. Perhaps in Morta. Price is right, style is great, blast looks well done. The Blue Room boyz have a feature that lets you scroll up close and personal on the pics and finishes. I appreciate that, and they do it for each and every pipe.

So, any direct feedback would be welcome here as well. Vermont Freehand clearly has a good rep in the supplier side of things.

Cheers,

RR

Pretty sure the pipes are made by briarworks, who are a very knowledgeable crew indeed.

But honestly, Steve is such a straightforward dude if you emailed him and asked him, he'd give you an honest answer about the pipes. This is one of the guys I trust 100% in the industry.

I have a blasted norsedog, seems to be very well designed. The chamber is actually drilled at a slight angle to keep the walls as thick as possible where the pipe gets the most narrow. I don’t believe it would be an issue unless you smoke pretty hot. Smoking it normally it does feel warm at the narrowest part but not hot.

If you’ve checked the dimensions it’s actually quite a small pipe, which probably helps as well. So far I’ve experienced no problems, smokes quite well.

Sasquatch":coz20m8i said:
Pretty sure the pipes are made by briarworks, who are a very knowledgeable crew indeed.

But honestly, Steve is such a straightforward dude if you emailed him and asked him, he'd give you an honest answer about the pipes. This is one of the guys I trust 100% in the industry.
Yup.

I own a sandblasted Norsedog. They are made by Briarworks as Sasquatch says. My Norsedog is a great little smoker. It is not too thin-walled. It's a relatively small pipe - I'd say a group 3 with a group 2 sized tobacco chamber. Smokes Va. flakes like a champ.

Wayne_Teipen":nqu0izs5 said:
I own a sandblasted Norsedog. They are made by Briarworks as Sasquatch says. My Norsedog is a great little smoker. It is not too thin-walled. It's a relatively small pipe - I'd say a group 3 with a group 2 sized tobacco chamber. Smokes Va. flakes like a champ.
Good info about the size. That'll make a difference for me. Thank you.