Very Scary Beginning to the New Year

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I got a text this morning from a friend whose wife is a pediatrician. "Our apologies for this short notice, but we have to cancel our New Year's gathering for tonight. We both tested negative for the Omicron virus yesterday, but many of Phyllis's colleagues, with whom she is in close contact, have tested positive. We will be testing daily. Please be cautious and limit your contacts."

Great way to start into 2022, eh? Stay safe.

I like to think we won't have to worry about this stuff someday soon, but that's doubtful. For what it's worth, I came down with the Covid on Christmas Day. All was great until I was having breakfast with the family. Out of nowhere, felt like someone beat me up with a bat. Went downhill from there... basically like a bad flu from the old days. Been feeling 100% since yesterday so, all considered, it wasn't bad. The suck part is having been separated from my family (and my holiday plans) for the better part of a week.

I'm starting to think this Omicron might actually be a good thing. People get infected with something that is generally not much worse than the flu (which we've had forever)... let them develop some antibodies on their own...

For what it's worth, I'm vaccinated as are my wife and kids. None of them caught it from me nor did my friends at our Christmas Eve party. The only person that caught it from me from Christmas Eve / day was my Dad's wife... Antivaxxer!

Last edited:
Ouch Doc, that sounds naaaaasty. Basically just hunkering down at home here which is good as it means more time for a pipe here. Sadly I took this time off to spend with my son going out etc. sadly Australia is currently overwhelmed by Omicron so our hopspitals are packed with patients and understaffed due to staff infections. So I won't be going out anywhere with him in case of an accident. I heard from a friend that they had to wait 18 hours to be seen when they had a broken arm last week and the situation has gotten worse since then.

We cancelled our family Christmas do when my cousin came down with Covid on Christmas day, so that's two years in a row without one. She's doing ok, as you say, flu like symptoms and she was over it by New Year's.