Viking book recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here into Viking history that can recommend a good book for a neophyte?

I've looked at amazon.com and there are dozens of books on the subject. Picking the right one to start with becomes the challenge. And the ratings/reviews are somewhat helpful, yet it would be beneficial if there was someone here who might be more versed in Viking lore to direct me in my quest.

I guess what I'm looking for is a well written introduction into the Vikings and their adventures/battles/quests. Sort of the 101 if you will.

I hasten to add this this meant to be an inspiration for a new song I've written that is intended to be a sweeping overlook on the Vikings and their history. And I need lyrics, but want to research it properly. So have the arrangement and melody vocal line. Just need to flesh out the lyrics.

Interestingly, the area in which I live has plenty of Viking influence. Particularly the Poulsbo, WA area where I once lived. Think I may also reach out to the Viking society in that area.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Since there were no sage replies on this I went ahead and took a chance on a book I found on amazon. Just took delivery today, so will be reading with interest with pen in hand to record any ideas/phrases/inspiration that comes of it.

Cheers,

RR

Rande, I haven't watched this series, so I don't know if it's worth watching, but it is going into it's 4th season, so the ratings must be pretty high. I have seen it for sale at Walmart, and on ebay.

Thought it might be one possibility where you could get some inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)

For the type of inspiration you seem to be looking for, why not try one of the Sagas?

Dutch":q9lpfnnq said:
Rande, I haven't watched this series, so I don't know if it's worth watching, but it is going into it's 4th season, so the ratings must be pretty high. I have seen it for sale at Walmart, and on ebay.

Thanks Chris. I'll check it out.

DrT999":q9lpfnnq said:
For the type of inspiration you seem to be looking for, why not try one of the Sagas?
DrT, I'm not familiar with this. Can you elaborate please?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":en65n0ly said:
Dutch":en65n0ly said:

Thanks Chris. I'll check it out.

DrT999":en65n0ly said:
DrT, I'm not familiar with this. Can you elaborate please?

Cheers,

RR
The Icelandic Sagas are epic poems (many of them are also called the Edda) set down c. 1000-1300, some about the different groups that settled Iceland and Greenland, some about the various Norse kings, some are pagan mythology, some tales about Norse Christian bishops and saints. King Harald's Saga is about the life of the Norwegian king who travelled to Byzantium, hacked his way to the throne of Norway, and then was killed by Harold of England right before the Norman invasion for example; while another is about Erik the Red. So, these are the sources written by the Vikings (or at least their grandchildren) as opposed to books about the Vikings.

DrT999":nnnmkhm0 said:
The Icelandic Sagas are epic poems (many of them are also called the Edda) set down c. 1000-1300, some about the different groups that settled Iceland and Greenland, some about the various Norse kings, some are pagan mythology, some tales about Norse Christian bishops and saints. King Harald's Saga is about the life of the Norwegian king who travelled to Byzantium, hacked his way to the throne of Norway, and then was killed by Harold of England right before the Norman invasion for example; while another is about Erik the Red. So, these are the sources written by the Vikings (or at least their grandchildren) as opposed to books about the Vikings.

That sounds interesting DrT. I'll be checking it out.

Gracias amigo!

Cheers,

RR

The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. They are historical fiction but seemed to be well researched. Based on his other works, he deeply researches his works.

Not that anyone probably cares but I'm making progress, albeit slowly.

So far I've taken out perhaps a dozen books from the library which is a way great resource. My local library is connected to the King County library system which serves the greater Seattle area and thus is fairly large in scope. And so they can get any book transferred to my remote outpost.

The books are very comprehensive in scope, and while some of the material won't be germane to my purposes it certainly makes for an interesting read. Many common themes and conclusions amongst the authors as well, which also helps.

Just today I got in the complete set of the sagas - 4 volumes - which will take a bit of getting my noggin' around. Frankly I'm not much of an academic, and my purpose is to create verse for a song already written.

I still have it in mind to connect with the (somewhat) local Viking society in an effort to get 'er done.

The tune is rather raw and aggressive and is meant to convey the brutal and conquering nature of the Viking history. Absolutely not designed for a pc audience, but then again I push the boundaries occasionally.

Not sure why I'm typing all this out here. Perhaps an effort to hear my own tiny brain speak!

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

Well, I don't know about your current audiences, but no Norseman who went a-Viking would have wanted to listen to anything pc!

Brewdude":o4ag7q0k said:
eklektos44":o4ag7q0k said:
Just had a look at this John. Sounds quite like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for posting. Have you read it?

Cheers,

RR
Yes, it's very good. They made it into a movie with Antonio Banderas. 13th Warrior, which was pretty good also, particularly as I'm not a Banderas fan.

eklektos44":p02yf9ew said:
Brewdude":p02yf9ew said:
eklektos44":p02yf9ew said:

Cheers,

RR
Yes, it's very good. They made it into a movie with Antonio Banderas. 13th Warrior, which was pretty good also, particularly as I'm not a Banderas fan.
Right. Looks like I'll get this in then.

Thanks amigo!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":z9e807fv said:
eklektos44":z9e807fv said:
Brewdude":z9e807fv said:
eklektos44":z9e807fv said:

Cheers,

RR
Right. Looks like I'll get this in then.

Thanks amigo!

:D

Cheers,

RR
Just took delivery of this today. Only took 3 weeks!

I'll look forward to this, as it has the potential to give me what I need.

I did get in the complete Sagas from from the library, but they didn't have what I was looking for.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":a9au0q4p said:
Just took delivery of this today. Only took 3 weeks!

I'll look forward to this, as it has the potential to give me what I need.

I did get in the complete Sagas from from the library, but they didn't have what I was looking for.

Cheers,

RR
Hope it gives you what you need Rande. Let me know. :)

John