Viking pipe issue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
Any one had a bowl not want to come off. It was my vikings turn in rotaion but i cant get the bowl off to.cha ge it out.

I have heard of those issues. So when I am done smoking a falcon or viking I take the bowl off , clean it and the threads on bother the bowl and the stem. Then clean the stem and cup. Then store the stem and bowl separately until I'm ready to use the pipe again. Everything gets a chance to dry out that way.

Good advice. I even do that with Pete System pipes. My first thought, other than that you were turning it the wrong way, was to put it in the freezer. But the coefficient of contraction is greater with metal than briar, I think, so that would just tighten things up. Perhaps heat on the metal instead, next time?

Richard Burley":dlpur2uh said:
Good advice. I even do that with Pete System pipes. My first thought, other than that you were turning it the wrong way, was to put it in the freezer. But the coefficient of contraction is greater with metal than briar, I think, so that would just tighten things up. Perhaps heat on the metal instead, next time?
I figured when a new pipe is made and assembled it is clean and dry. When I smoke I add moisture and 'guck' and heat. Rule of thumb here is to finish the smoke, disassemble, clean, and allow to settle down for a day or so. Then reassemble and rest a few more days. My wooden pipes with threaded stems only get partially threaded together until I'm ready to smoke them again.

I am harder on my falcons though. They are my tanks. I even treat my cobs better. The falcon bowls get almost a daily rotation, but as they are rested overnight with good airflow around the bowls they seem to dry out nicely. (I.e., bulldog in the morning, Dublin after lunch, apple before supper, etc. Once each a day at the regular time. So far so good!)

At any rate, it is far easier to take the device apart when it has just cooled than to wait after several smokes and days, giving it a chance to glue itself together.

Thanks glfor the info guys alot of great things to realiz. I did get it but itbwas almkst glued togetger.