Vintage Tobacciana....<<<Please Post Your Pics>>>

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
At the excellent suggestion of Dutch I'd like to start this thread as a place to post pics of your cherished tobacco collectibles. These items need not be rare or valuable to be unique and notewworthy. Please feel free to post pics of your jars, books artwork, advertising items, lighters, statues, ect.

Also, feel free to post pics and or descriptions of items that you're currently on the hunt for. You just never know where and when things might show up....

I'll start this off with an uber rare Balkan Sobranie tobacco jar from the 40's-50's. Even after a decade of investigating no one seems to have any information about it. I've never met a single soul who has ever seen one like it. It's been seen by every major collector I know and they just shake their heads. Speculation is that it was made by an English firm and presented to someone high up in the company.

NewStuff003.jpg

Simple Man":d5qqd3rd said:
I don't have much anymore, but I still have this... for now.

P91800272-1.jpg

P91800282-1.jpg
I've seen a few sealed boxes of this tobacco at flea markets over the years but never the whole display! Very cool :cheers:

Here's another neat one. This is the original 1928 Dunhill "About Smoke" catalog. It's loaded with gorgeous color plates, something unheard of in the 20's. A modern reprint of this volume is now for sale through "Brair Books Press". This is a MUST have for all Dunhill junkies :lol:

dfcat1.jpg

dfcat26.jpg

This is a crazy quilt my girlfriend made for me out of pipesocks, scrap fabric and cigar felts. These were a common project for wives to make their hubbys at the begining of the last century. The bottom two pics are of an original crazy quilt dating from that time. This one was purchased at an antiques show years ago...

Pipesockthrowfrombecks001.jpg

Pipesockthrowfrombecks002.jpg

Pipesockthrowfrombecks003.jpg

Original:
cigarfeltcrazyquilt001.jpg

cigarfeltcrazyquilt002.jpg

Pipe cabinet.

Antique glass tobacco jar probably made by Pairpoint or Handel (grew up around glass from that era)

And then the book you suggested today Dock. I've got other stuff randomly about at home. A couple tin tobacco signs and some posters, but can't get pics of them just yet.

Dock":x36jbm54 said:
LOVE that German jar!!!!!!
Actually it is either from Connecticut or Massachusetts. There were quite a few premiere glass manufacturers in the US around that time. Everyone knows Tiffany for instance, but Mt. Washington, Pairpoint, Handel and quite a few others were producing glass in our own country around 1900.

Wow! I've heard of Handel and Pairpoint lamps and have seen quite a few of them at auction and at shows over the years. I didn't know that they made much else beyond that. VERY cool item none the less...

"The Game's Afoot" tobacco jar from a defunct California based firm called "Pipe Able". Interesting company, it made just two items, these hand painted and numbered jars as well as car window signs that read "Pipe on Board". The company was started by a fella looking to employ pipe smokers with dissabilities in the 1980's. They were featured in Rick Hacker's "Ultimate Pipe Book" but went out of business shortly there after. They're now highly collectible....

PipeCollectibles019.jpg

Here is a neat piece I recently acquired called "The Briar Dryer." My guess is it is from the 70's, but I'm not certain.

BriarDryer-1_zpsbb1fc4f2.jpg

BriarDryer-4_zpsa0eda09e.jpg

BriarDryer-3_zps478a2d2f.jpg

The 4 vol set of Dunhill reprint catalogs by the late, great John Loring is a treasure trove of infomation. As I recall, these sold originally for $300.00. The last set I saw available went for over a thousand dollars. The second pic is of another Loring reprint. This is a large binder with twenty English pipe firm catalog reprints. If you EVER see ANY of these volumes for sale on the cheap, BUY them quickly :lol:

DenStuff019.jpg

DenStuff020.jpg

Dutch":or09wfnq said:
Here is a neat piece I recently acquired called "The Briar Dryer." My guess is it is from the 70's, but I'm not certain.

BriarDryer-1_zpsbb1fc4f2.jpg

BriarDryer-4_zpsa0eda09e.jpg

BriarDryer-3_zps478a2d2f.jpg
Definetely seventies!!! The glaze used is so typical. A few dozen of these "driers" showed up on e-bay about five years back. I had never seen or heard of them previous. Only one seller was selling them at the time. They were out of a warehouse they had purchased as I recall. Once they were gone they never showed back up again. Not sure the rest of the story about them but I do know that a couple of folks on here bought one including Mikem...

The White Spot statue. These pipe holders featuring a brown gloved hand came out several years back. They were given to Dunhill principal dealers and as with all items of this type, very few have shown up for sale since. I recall seeing one at Iwan Ries in Chicago and a couple have been listed on e-bay....

Dunhillthewhitespotstoredisplayhand.jpg

Circa 1900's John Harper five cent cigar adverting ashtray.

aaasmokeroomcollectibles%20003_zps2ef4a837.jpg

Early to mid 1970's Dunhill & Three Nuns tobacco advertising necktie. I have a feeling this one was made for Lane Limited. I've never come across another like it...

100_2173.jpg

Thomas Radford tobacco store display from the 1980's
Pipesforsale6005.jpg

Orlik judge statue. Age unknown but likely from the 1960's
pipes003.jpg

UBER RARE Large 1940's Mastercraft pipes double side sign
BhkHTcBGkKGrHqEOKjUEsmSlzBkBLJsp1Ye.jpg

Alfred Dunhill autorized dealers shop sign from the 1980's
DunhillYeOldeSign003.jpg

Rare Erinmore store sample jar
MoreStuff003.jpg

Here's the really special ones folks. These are HUGE 17th century Delft tobacco jars from a tobacconist in Europe. They are museum quality and spectacular in person....

pipes007.jpg

pipes008.jpg

pipes009.jpg

Here's the Dunhill store display jars that were discussed elsewhere. The top four are the originals from lane Limited and the bottom one is the small consumer jar sold through Tinderbox.

pipes001.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

pipes002.jpg

NewStuff001.jpg

Some things for the Sherlock Holmes folks....

Royal Daulton Holmes and Watson Bookends from the late 90's
aaasmokeroomcollectibles%20002_zpsebb0e762.jpg

Authentic Arthur Conan Doyle Autograph from around the time of his death in the late 20's. Doyle signed very little throughout his life and his signatures are super scarce.
NewStuff4DocksDen002.jpg

Sherlock & Watson plates from Tinderbox
IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

Hand painted Holmes Bust
IMG_2967.jpg

Tom Clark Holmes statue
pipes006.jpg

Royal Daulton anniversary toby jug
IMG_3354.jpg

Esco Holmes Statue
pipes004.jpg