Virginia suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis12

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some good Virginias to smoke. I have REALLY been into Orlik Golden Sliced so if anyone has any suggestions on some tasty virginias please leave them, and I will be sure to pick them up. I am making a run to my local tobacconist tomorrow.

Not exactly straight Va's, but I've been taking far too much enjoyment from Dunhill Navy De Luxe Rolls and McClellands Blakneys Best Baked Bayou Slice (VaPers); and McClelland Tudor Castle (VaPer with Yendje) lately.

For straight Va's; you can't go wrong with any of the blends created by Tiltjp (John Patton); particularly Virginia Squire...very tasty stuff! Haven't dipped into the Quadruple Virginia yet, but based on my enjoyment of Cool Hand Fluke, it will please too.

Schmitzbitz":jtjsocxr said:
Not exactly straight Va's, but I've been taking far too much enjoyment from Dunhill Navy De Luxe Rolls and McClellands Blakneys Best Baked Bayou Slice (VaPers); and McClelland Tudor Castle (VaPer with Yendje) lately.

For straight Va's; you can't go wrong with any of the blends created by Tiltjp (John Patton); particularly Virginia Squire...very tasty stuff! Haven't dipped into the Quadruple Virginia yet, but based on my enjoyment of Cool Hand Fluke, it will please too.
Quadruple Virginia is the only straight Va of those you mentioned. Virginia Squire has a small amount of White Burley, and Cool Hand Fluke has a very healthy portion of Perique added. I'm glad to hear you like them.

tiltjlp":mrv5ixyj said:
My favorite Virginia is Astley 109 broken flake.
An excellent one!! :D

I'll add Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake, GL Pease Union Square (I finally tried this one!), McClelland Blackwoods flake.

My Holy Trinity of ginnyweed is G.H. & co. Curly Cut Regular (not the Deluxe!!), and SG's FVF and Medium Virginia, but you'll likely not find them due to their rarity as of late (though the GH & co stuff is available on line).

My Holy Trinity is Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and McClelland Dark Star.

I just picked up some Erinmore Flake, and some Escudo Navy Deluxe. i have not tried the Erinmore yet (i will smoke that tonight) but I tried the Escudo Navy Flake and it was very good

Well I'm a GL Pease man myself, so I'd have to add Union Square, I went out of my way(and out of my mind $) to get some Full Virginia Flake but I have yet to have a great smoke with it.

Another thing, smoking Virginia's is a whole different ball game, slower is better, which is something I still have to try and practice. With Va/Per you don't have to smoke as slow so I'm finding them to be a good pit stop along the way to Va's, but enough about me.

GLP Union Square
SG FVF
and Hal O the Wind

Peace-Mike

p.s.- Virginias age well, so cellar what you don't like today

mdavis12":7v8wrl5g said:
I just picked up some Erinmore Flake
And you'll be setting it down quickly I'll wager :lol: . Not exactly in the ginny flake category, has a bit of a scenting to it :shock: .

mdavis12":dxypz71k said:
has anyone smoked the Dunhill Virginia Flake?
Yeap, pretty nice flake. My favs for now are the Va flake and Silver flake both from Solani.

For VA's that you CAN find:
Union Square
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake
Wessex Campaign Dark Flake

Astley's 109 is good, also McCranies Red Ribbon or Red Flake and McClellands bulk 5100 red cake.

Cornell & Diehl's Exhausted Rooster. Send me your shipping info in a pM and I'll send you a bowl or three!

Tennessee Dave":evxg4lqu said:
willie g":evxg4lqu said:
i like:

sg full va flake
glp union square
c&d opening night

I'll second this. This baccy gets little press but is one of my favorite Virginias.
I will third this! Just been smoking a tin the past few days, wonderful Virginia! Got my cue from you guys and my thanks for that. Some chunky pieces make it really interesting.It will be added on my regular rotation.

Puff Daddy":xr2ygzjv said:
mdavis12":xr2ygzjv said:
I just picked up some Erinmore Flake
And you'll be setting it down quickly I'll wager :lol: . Not exactly in the ginny flake category, has a bit of a scenting to it :shock: .
I am not a fan of those with the lakeland flavoring either.

Blackwoods flake is delicious

I have been smoking a lot of the Esoterica Tilbury. I really enjoy this blend. I think it has a lot of nicotine though. Gives me the jitters if I smoke it too late at night.

I like Virginia Squire too. I know it has a bit o the burley, but it has a great flavor.

FVF is good, but too tough to get to even be considered, I think.

I might have to look into the C&D opening night after these glowing reviews.

My favorites are the Rattray big three, HOTW, Marlin Flake, and Old Gowrie, closely followed by FVF.