Virginia suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cakeanddottle":xg04im34 said:
My Holy Trinity is Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and McClelland Dark Star.
I second that, HOTW is the bomb!

The sweetest straight Virginia smokes to my taste are:

1. McClellands Red Cake
2. McClellands Fragrant Mature Cake
3. McCranie's Red Ribbon
4. SG Full Virginia Flake

Lots of good suggestions here.

I second Escudo, Rattray's HOTW, SG FVF and Dunhill Flake.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Peterson's University Flake.

I was reluctant to try it because it is mildly flavored, but then someone gave me a free sample.

The flavoring is very very light and in perfect harmony with the Virginia IMHO.

Todd

So many great VA blends... But I think these are MUST tries

Astley's 109
Old Gowrie
Scottish flake
Long Golden flake

And... Solani 633!!!

I love Blackwoods Flake, it was the first pipe tobacco I ever purchased and its still one my favorites. I recently have been able to try FVF and I have to say that I prefer my old standards of Blackwoods Flake, OGS and PS Navy. I like FVF just fine and I'll happily smoke the rest of my little stash, but I won't go out of my way or spend an exorbitant amount of money to acquire more.

since I posted I got my hands on some Hamborger Veermaster. For me it's right up there with HOTW and FVF. Awesome stuff.

For a straight VA I generally go with FVF but I much prefer VA/Pers. For those, my all time favorite is Peretti's Park Square, it is really a superb blend.

Smokey

I just smoked some Irish Flake yesterday, and I think its great !
But its a blend of burley, kentucky, and Virginia.

I also tried Astleys 109, and GLP Union Square. as they are both Va's.
I'm not that good at telling the differences, "yet", but the later two seemed lighter, and oh so good!

My favorite viginia tobaccos are #1 .SHPC Virginia Rich , #2 , SG FvF #3 Dan Limerick #4 Dunhil Flake

Revisiting my prior post on this thread, I seem to be reaching more for titljlp's blends more these days when the ginny mood is upon me. Quad VA being the primary one.

Cheers,

RR

1. McCranie's Red Ribbon/Flake
2. GH Bright CR Flake
3. Mc 5100
4. Rattray's HOTW, Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake
5. SG FVF

Some plain old tinned Virginias I really like that you can actually buy from time to time (unlike FVF or BBF):

Union Square
Dunhill Flake (formerly Dunhill Light Flake)
Astley's 109

I have been ordering from "Boswell's" and he has a "Virginia Slice" in bulk.
So, along with the fact that the price is great, Ive been smoking that.
And I like it

This thread needs some more input :p For me, my favorite STRAIGHT Virginias are all domestically made from those folks up in Kansas City. The more I smoke 'em, the more appreciation I get for this particular variety of "that nasty weed " :p
My four faves are:
Virginia Woods for a ready rubbed ribbon cut
Matured Virginia #27 is my fave broken flake
Blackwoods Flake runs #27 for a close second
Matured Virginia #22 is another good broken flake.

Let's see what others like . Remember, STRAIGHT Virginias ONLY :p

My top 5:

Marlin Flake

Christmas Cheer

Dark Star

Blackwood Flake

VA Spice

I guess a good Virginia really depends on how its cured and cased. Personally I have taken a fancy to Villiger After Dinner Flake and Villiger Cocktail Hour. Both are not aromatic in the least despite what is written on the label. Dunhill Flake is always a good choice.

djf1":qz5jxx85 said:
Tennessee Dave":qz5jxx85 said:
willie g":qz5jxx85 said:
i like:

sg full va flake
glp union square
c&d opening night

I'll second this. This baccy gets little press but is one of my favorite Virginias.
I will third this! Just been smoking a tin the past few days, wonderful Virginia!
I'll fourth C&D's Opening Night Flake. My favorite by far. A very full smoke and full flavored Virginia. Nothing else, that I've tried thus far, compares.